Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, Did all the Lower Body Bushings R&R Today Except Position #1 (Front of Car, Radiator Support). I Know this position gets the Pink Bushings on both sides but my Question Is: Where Exactly Does this Bushing Go?...Im Confused after looking at the Whole setup!!! Does the Bushing:

1. Replace 1 of the Bushings that a Currently allready there? If so...Where?

2. Get Added to the Existing setup? If so, Where does it get added at? (I Assume from the Bottom of the Car?)

I Removed the Bolt from the setup and it doesn't appear long enough When adding the Pink bushing the way the rest of the Body bushings went In?
HELP!!! BTW, I Did an Extensive search for this answer and came up with Zero!.......Thanks

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Mike, I do not know "how" you could do this with the front end not on the car, not saying it can't be done but I have ONLY done it with the front end off completely. I do know you would have to remove the wheelwell extension plastic panels, battery, PCM & stock air box to gain access to do it.

I will state that the new pink bushings that Dal sent to me could NOT be installed as delievered. The new pink ones had a metal cup that no matter what I did I could NOT get them to work. I used the original metal cup (much different) with the new pink bushings and they went in fine. I also ordered new bolts and other hardware from Dal and everything else was perfect fit.

Sorry I could not be more help, but thought I'd pass along the issue with the metal cup that the bushing goes on.

Dave

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Originally posted by 95DCMSS:
Mike, I do not know "how" you could do this with the front end not on the car, not saying it can't be done but I have ONLY done it with the front end off completely. I do know you would have to remove the wheelwell extension plastic panels, battery, PCM & stock air box to gain access to do it.
Actually, Those items Are off my Car at this Time. Had no Problem getting Access to the Front Supports But As Bill has Explained, This IS NOT Position #1
Originally posted by Navy Lifer:
Mike,

Radiator support is NOT #1 position. 1 thru 7 are all located behind front wheel--front fenders aren't counted in the "body mount" numbering system GM uses.

Radiator support is separate PN from all of the other mounts/insulators.
After reading Scott Mueller's Article, It states the Position#5 Is Skipped in the Mod. Therefore, I Assumed that the Front Rad Support area was #1 Bill? Too many Hrs of Laying on the POR-15 on the Frame I Guess? Also Bill, If starting with the 2 Mounts that are close together (1 And 2), Right behind the Front Wheels, Body mount postions #3, The Bushings (Pink) do not seem to want to seat all the way down Flush with the frame when applying the proper torque to them??? (Still a Gap between them and the Frame)
Am I Missing something Here? All the other mounts went in flush with no problem! I Used the 2 Green mounts in the last 2 Positions in the rear of the Car. Any bolt Changes needed for this Mod?........Thanks

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Mike,

It's the great mystery we've never had anyone from GM engineering give us the answer to, as far as I know.

The stock Caprice/SS UPPER mount cushion/spacer in the #3 position is different than the part used in the 9C1. The SS upper rubber has 12 voids in the rubber (lower durometer), and the spacer is 0.400" longer/taller--and the mount bolt is longer.

The 9C1 #3 upper mount has 6 voids in the rubber (higher durometer), a shorter spacer and requires use of the shorter bolt in that position if a changeover to this part is done.

If (assuming) you still have the standard SS upper cushion & spacer on the car, the lower cushion will always have a gap--the GM NVH guys wanted it that way for some reason.

The "Mueller" lower mount cushion setup is 12 pieces, since #5 position uses a drop-in part that only goes on the top side of the frame at the kick-up for the rear axle.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hmm, Let me look thru the Box of Parts that I Recieved from Dal that Time (Multiple items Inc Bushings) Seems to me Dal Inc 2 New Bolts as Well with that Order...Stay Tuned???...Thanks Bill! BTW, Just the Thought of Addressing this Question to 1 Of the GM Engineers at Work Has me reaching for some Tylenol's

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Mike,

The reality on the short bolts is that due to a lack of knowledge on MY part at the time, the short bolts became part of "lore" of this mod. As I've written in a number of previous threads on the LOWER mount mod, the short bolt is NOT to be used on the #3 mount of an SS or non-9C1 Caprice UNLESS the #3 upper mount has been changed to the shorter spacer version.

Plenty of reading here:
http://impalassforum.com/noncgi/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=16;t=002000

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Using the pink and green lower cushions as DIRECT replacements leave alot to be desired. Along with the firmer mounts, I consider the crush or sqwish of the mounts important as well. Without spacers of correct thickness(es) inside of the green or pink cushions, correct crush will not be achieved. It is not a case of install, crank down the bolt mindlessly, and away ya go. FFT.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.