Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok Guys,
I'm thinking about doing the body bushings. Should I go with Aluminum or Poly? (I don't care about the tendencies of poly to squeak. I have poly everything else with plenty of greese and never has a squeak!). I want the best performance bushings.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Dan:

A while ago some one was playing around with solid mounts, think it was maybe NavyLifter? Kind of kept it in the back of my mind for if/when I get around to it.

Is some one mfg'ing solid mounts now?

My only concern was the aluminum pushing through the tub, maybe need larger washers? Then again, I don't know how beefy the tub is to start with.

FWIW...

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
When I installed the missing bushing (almost 2 years ago) I tough about going the solid bushing route but decided to go whith something very hard but that could absorb more than aluminium......
Hockey pucks

Cut them to the right outside diameter, drilled the proper inside diameter size holes, so they would slip over the bolt sleeve and installed them. I've been very pleased with the results, the only problem I have is that one has cracked but stayed put.
Cost: $0.00
Just a thought ;)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by GunGuy:
A while ago some one was playing around with solid mounts, think it was maybe NavyLifter? Kind of kept it in the back of my mind for if/when I get around to it.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I think that someone was me :D
Dan, I was thinking along the same lines as you back in November of last year... I wanted to get the most out of my suspension, which meant a solid body-frame connection. I contacted a company in Houston that makes solid carbon bushings for industrial applications. To make carbon body bushings for my car, they wanted around $40 PER bushing... I'm sure that if they were mass producing them for everyone on the forum, the price would drop.

Bill (Navy Lifer) sent me some aluminum bushings to try on my car... they were just the lower bushings. My uppers are still stock... and for good reason. Bill's idea was to use the aluminum lowers to "tie down" the body to the frame, making the body-frame connection tighter than stock, but not rock solid. The frame itself is not rock solid... it flexes, and needs to be able to do so independent from the body. If the body and frame are solidly tied together, you might find some body deformation after some time.
I've had the aluminum lowers on my car since last November. My advice to anyone wanting to use aluminum body bushings... DON'T use them
. When I have some spare time and $$$, I plan to install 9C1 body bushings. Aluminum will make your car creak like a haunted house! Jason (Vader) and Tully (fast_ss1) have been in my car and noticed this. Every time I brake, accelerate, and put the car in gear, I get creaking sounds from the frame flexing against the solid aluminum bushings. I believe the 9C1 bushings (rubber, but higher durometer than the Impala bushings) are the way to go.

And before anyone says anything, I volunteered my car as a guinea pig for the aluminum bushings. Navy Lifer didn't sucker me into putting them on my car
. I knew they were experimental, and the results of this little experiment are above. ;)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by SSRM:
I think that someone was me :D
Bill (Navy Lifer) sent me some aluminum bushings to try on my car... they were just the lower bushings.

And before anyone says anything, I volunteered my car as a guinea pig for the aluminum bushings. Navy Lifer didn't sucker me into putting them on my car
. I knew they were experimental, and the results of this little experiment are above. ;)
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hey, at least I remembered 1/2 of the trial. Thanks for being the guine pig on it!!!

The hockey puck thing is an old fix for 4x4's and some of those guys use piping/tubing for a body lift. Then again, I don't think they worry as much about creaking as we tend to.

Now if I could only convince myself I had enough $$$ for the Hotchkis and Hal GP's..... Talk about BAD timing! DAMN!!!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hello,
I hope the Del-a-lum Bushings from Global West are nothing like those Solid Aluminum bushings? I just ordered them yesterday...
I asked around about the best bushings, and EVERYONE said the poly's will squeak after time, especialy since I was modifing the entire suspension. then a couple of the guys who post alot around here suggested the Del-a-lums. I guess, I'll have to see.
Aldo

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the replies guys. OK. Aluminum is out. I have poly everything else and no sweaks. I also lube the zerts wuite often. So that makes a big difference.

Could you send the link for the Del-a-lums?

Thanks.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.