Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am planning on replacing my body bushings and wanted to hear the differences on the Energy Suspension vs the GM kit. Also wanted to know if this mod is difficult to do without a lift?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The Energy Suspension kit is a complete set of upper and lower body mount "cushions". Installation is not simple or that easy, unless a person has done it many times and has the right tools & equipment.

The GM "kit" referred to most often is simply a package of 12 LOWER cushions--10 of one PN, and 2 of another--that was recommended by Scott Mueller some years ago. The cushions specified are taller, and capture body-to-frame motions sooner, making the car "feel" tighter as far as ride motions. Installation is a basic driveway task, but a lift makes it easier.

This GM "kit" does not address in any way the condition (and likely deterioration) of the upper body mount cushions, which are sandwiched between the body & frame.

After 10 years or more, many are in severely deteriorated condition, and there are some concerns that the bolt & threaded boss are also a problem, as well as (in some cases) the area on the body around the threaded boss(es)--this will be more prevalent in the northern/colder & wetter climate areas where chemicals are used alot, but that doesn't rule out problems even if you live in Las Vegas.

With all that said--I'm of the opinion that using the 9C1 upper body mount cushions on any sedan is the best approach, short of a track-only car.

recent thread with 9C1 info

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I just had Bilsteins put on and noticed a difference, but it's not quite right yet. Would the "Mueller Mod" make a difference until I can do the uppers or should I just add the missing 5/8" 9c1 lowers for now? I guess this post is only relevant for when I do the 7B3 uppers (not sure when that will be).

I just saw this post: "The "nuts" that GM uses for the bushing mounts are held in place on top of the body by a VERY flimsy metal cover strap. So in some of my bolt locations, even if the bolt looked to be in good shape the "nut" would spin out of its holder." How likely is this to happen?

Finally, would the ZQ8 bumpstops be worth doing on a stock suspension?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.