Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Whats involved in getting a "Body Drop"? What does this due exactly, how much will the car get lowered? I wanna get airbags and a body drop...

thanks

i know that might sound REALLY NEWBISH!

well, it is

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
i think ur just gonna have to stick with airbags, body dropping our car is a little more work then u would wanna do or pay for right now. basiclly body dropping brings the whole body down so the bottem of the rockers is about at the bottem of the frame rail.

some people cut there floor and raise it up to do this (loosing head room) or like we just did to my friends truck, stock floor body drop which involves remakeing the whole frame from about right behind the front wheels all the way back. fun stuff.

maybe some day for me...

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
This is one of those "if you have to ask, you probably don't want to do it" sort of mods. Not cheap if you can't do it yourself, and not really all that ideal for an everyday driven vehicle.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Year one did the previously mentioned frame mod on their '67 chevelle. I looks like it could also be a good way to shave a few pounds and make the chassis stiffer as well. If I ever get enough money I am definately considering doing it as I hate looking under my car and seeing the frame rails. Here are the pics. The frame is the fourth one down.

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
my wagon is bodydropped 2 1/2"! It was well worth it! A ton of work!!! But worth the whole 2 1/2"!!! wagon pics

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Your wagon looks great tattoo, did you do the bodydrop yourself?

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Originally posted by threeimpalas:
This is one of those "if you have to ask, you probably don't want to do it" sort of mods. Not cheap if you can't do it yourself, and not really all that ideal for an everyday driven vehicle.
Im in the works of a stock floor bodydrop on my 91 caprice and i wana know what makes you say its not for the daily driven?

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
stock floor BD's are the only way to go... If i decided to do one, id definitely fire up the torch and lower that frame rail and drop the body down. I couldnt see having a channel or an entirely raised floor messing with my foot and headroom..
If its done properly, i dont see how it would effect normal daily driving.Unless you intend to lay rocker your entire way to and from work, it probablly wont hurt it.

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yep, I did it myself. Any bodydrop that is done right can be a daily driver! I have a s-10 that is bodydropped 4" and never have had a problem driving it. I plan on driving my wagon as much as possible when it is done.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Does any one know of any caprice or impala with a stock floor bodydrop?

K

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Body drops are cool.

I did a stock floor BD in my 95 S10 is on 20's

but then when i got my SS i realized...

Goin fast is way cooler.... but maybe if Jay (jayoldschool) keeps his raodmaster wagon

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
How do you go about doing a stock floor body drop? Cut the top portion of the frame off?

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
How do you go about doing a stock floor body drop? Cut the top portion of the frame off?
yep, cut off the body mounts, weld in a sub frame lower than the actual frame, then cut off the top part. that sub frame that you welded it acts as the new top of the frame, weld the body mounts back onto the chassis and bam, stock floor BD

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Just asking here cause I haven't done one, but what about cutting a section out of the side of the rail and raising the bottom?

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
That would not drop the body. What makes the body drop a BD is the lowering of the floor pan in relation to the F/r suspension (and frame). this is what gives the lowered look, but does not affect the suspension.

O

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Originally posted by Sublvr72:
here is a stock floor body dropped caprice

I know this is off topic, but in the background it looks like a cop pulled someone over in his 91 caprice. Although its not a 9c1 nor a police car in general, its still kinda funny.

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
not one to ask too many questions.... but...

the whole idea of a 'stock floor body drop' is great in relation to a truck frame. the usual truck frame is going to be about 6" tall or taller. go look at a frame of a chevy 1500, they are huge frames,... you can easily afford to cut 3" off one and not event hink about it. However on our "car frame" is not that tall... how much of a 'stock floor body drop' are you thinking you can cut off our frame before it becomes seriously dangerous.

Even on a truck, how much can you do before it just gets dangerous. I heard that here in houston, at extensive they did a 4" stock floor body drop on an Avalanche with 26" rims. that leaves a 5437lb truck, with 26" rims and 295 HP trying to twist the frame. and after that, the frame is only a 2"x2" frame... here is a pic from lowrider mag of a random avalanche frame....

now can you imagine cutting 4" off the top of that. Now i am not saying that they didnt do some serious bracing to that avalanche frame to try and make it stable, but noone on here yet has really mentioned 'bracing' the stock floor body drop...

Now to the green caprice in the photo... I am assuming that it is not your caprice, but one that you looked at on the internet. Take the photo into photoshop and adjust the levels so that you can see whats at the bottom of the car. You come up with about 2-2.5" of space left from the bottom of the car to the ground. Now either someone went and 'stock floor body dropped' their car and did not even touch the suspension (ie no bags, springs, nothing) or it is your typical photo taken of a bagged car layed out (very possibly on the frame) that is still 2-2.5" off the ground, and someone just felt like saying "its stock floor body dropped" and hoped that noone would open the picture up and say 'why would you stock floor body drop it all the way down to a position that looked stock" or "how much did you shave the frame, a quarter inch" or mabey they thought a stock floor body drop was just taking out the upper body bushing mounts.

compared to

Now go measure your frame. How much of that are you going to cut off before it becomes 'troublesome'

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
ps, we are about to 'modified floor body drop' my wagon here within the next few weeks. the photos will be posted. keep watching the 'its finally winding down post'

1 - 20 of 30 Posts