Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What happens to the "look" of the car when you replace the body mounts in position #1? I was told that the car would "look" different. Just trying to see if this is true or not. If this is true, should I replace it or leave it alone?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Not sure why you would do just #1. But to answer your question, I have done the swap (twice), and find no difference at all in the look. You can put a new one side by side of one you remove, and you will only see a minimal height differnce. Maybe 1/4" maximum. The feel will be improved similar to how extremely worn your originals were. If they weren't that bad, you probably wont feel much.

I would go and spend the $70 or $80 to get them from Dal, and do all of them. Its the easiest mod you will ever do. Just be sure and install the new ones right side up. I put mine in upside down, and didn't notice till I was on the last one! Had to go back and re do all of them. Still only took an hour or so.

Good Luck!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Originally posted by SSuper SSled:
...Its the easiest mod you will ever do...Still only took an hour or so...
Sounds like you only replaced the lower bushings, the upper bushings are your body mounts, and you need to raise your body up off the frame to get them out. Not a huge project, but you should set aside a Saturday for it...it's NOT a 1 hour project. - JM.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Originally posted by Josh M.:
</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by SSuper SSled:
...Its the easiest mod you will ever do...Still only took an hour or so...
Sounds like you only replaced the lower bushings, the upper bushings are your body mounts, and you need to raise your body up off the frame to get them out. Not a huge project, but you should set aside a Saturday for it...it's NOT a 1 hour project. - JM. </font>[/QUOTE]I didn't want to say anything but when he said 1 hour, I was thinking, "WTF am I doing wrong." It took me over an hour just to do the four rear mounts(2 on each side) and then I gave up.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
how far do you need to raise the body? just wonderin cause i might need to do this. so its a one day deal i guess

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You may not get this job done depending how much rust on the bolt.

Some member just broke the bolts and sent the car to body shop to finish job.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yep! One of the lower body bushings fell off my car. So I was going to replace them all. I then took a good look at the bushing that fell off.. It fell off because of severe rust, After that I said no way im going to do this myself. You know how hard it is to fight rust and corrosion.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
yee haw. sounds fun. i git to pull 2 bodies off and switch the frames. good body has a bad frame, scrap body has a great frame! good time to do it then i guess?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
If your going to replace all the bushings (top and bottom) where do you go to get the set? I know the writeup floating around has the info for lowers which doesn't cut it and Energy Suspensions kit doesn't seem complete either. I only ask because I'm planning on doing this project this summer.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Originally posted by bammax:
If your going to replace all the bushings (top and bottom) where do you go to get the set? I know the writeup floating around has the info for lowers which doesn't cut it and Energy Suspensions kit doesn't seem complete either. I only ask because I'm planning on doing this project this summer.
I have the Energy Suspension kit p/n 3-4136R(Red). It has upper and lower bushings and that p/n is for the Police, Taxi, or Race car with the recommended firmer durometer. I got mine from Summit Racing: http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?autofilter=1&part=ENS%2D3%2D4136R&N=0&autoview=sku

But, AutoZone sells them now. Just go in with the p/n. They would have to order it, not a stocking item.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.