Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone had any recent body shop experiences? Someone clipped my roadie in the parking garage and tore the rear bumper off. Curious how this works on a car this old that you can't get parts for, save salvage yards. Thinking its going to turn into a big hassle?

Attachments

·
Registered
11,044 Posts
You are going to be visiting P-N-P yards, or find someone who is parting one out. The cost of a bumper cover from someone parting out a car can be as high as $150. Shipping for a bumper cover is about $80, depot to depot, by Greyhound (wrap in shrink wrap, and tape any sharp corners). You are probably going to be painting it to match as well. I would guess the painting cost will be about $100-150. Installation is relatively easy.

·
Registered
995 Posts
You are going to be visiting P-N-P yards, or find someone who is parting one out. The cost of a bumper cover from someone parting out a car can be as high as $150. Shipping for a bumper cover is about $80, depot to depot, by Greyhound (wrap in shrink wrap, and tape any sharp corners). You are probably going to be painting it to match as well. I would guess the painting cost will be about $100-150. Installation is relatively easy.
I have a question. Hopefully this doesn't count as threadjacking.

I have an old Eldorado with some recent collision damage that I would like to take care of fairly soon.

Now, if it was just a matter of swapping a body panel or two, I would have no problem doing it myself. But, that's not the case. I know there's a million little odds and ends that I'm going to need, Random brackets, hardware, trim pieces, etc. The thought of trying to piece it all back together makes my head hurt.

I'm assuming I will need to buy a parts car. But then what? Am I going to be able to take BOTH cars to a body shop and have them just take watever they need off the other car? Like I said, I wouldn't even know what all parts to bring them.

Thanks.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I was somewhat of a hassle and at the end of the day, they replacement bumper is in worse shape than mine before the wreck, but it is what it is.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts