Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have searched the fourm and also other sites but have not found an answer to my question so I'm hoping someone here who has done this will be able to provide an opinion.

I have a 1985 Caprice Coupe. I want to upgrade it by using a 1995 9C1. My question to Husker, Loweredd or anyone else who has done something like this is, if you had to do it again:

- is it simpler to put the body of the 1985 on the 1995 frame OR

- is it simpler to just swap out the engine, trans, rear end, suspension and wiring from the 95 to the 85?

For anyone who has experience doing this I'd like your opinion and some info on which way you think is best.

Thanks in advance for any info anyone can provide!

·
Registered
236 Posts
long as the frame is in good shape you are better off just swapping the body over to the newer frame. I'm doing the very thing on my 77 coupe.

·
Registered
317 Posts
The body swap would be easier, then all you need to figure out is the speedometer and the wiring. I didn't have that option because the frame was rotted on my '95. If you don't already have an LT engine, I'd skip it and go for an LS/Vortec.

My swap cost a lot more than I wanted it to because I had to replace a lot of the peripherals, and it's still a 20 year old engine with a quarter million miles. I should've sold it and got a 5.3 pickup donor.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts