Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello. Who all is making some nice/fun street power w/the factory 2" tailpipes still intact? It looks tight and twisty back there, I bet it would take an exhaust shop some time and take quite a bit of dough.

Thanx.

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
your best bet is to go 2 1/2".
most recomend it ive read. its not too expensive if u search shops. there is a place out here thats gonna do mine for around 250. the car still makes good power with it stock but its pretty restrictive. plus in the bends it squeezes even tighter. cant wait to get mine done!

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanx guys. Hey SEOK, can he make the tips exit at the rear bumper? The reason I ask is on my last wagon (68 Buick Sportwagon w/a 430) it exited behind the wheel. And I would always get an exhaust smell inside the car.

Squished in half, that is not good. Thanx Deadman.

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
really?! what the hell were they thinkng! i never really looked, now i definately gotta get my exhaust done soon.

·
Registered
423 Posts
As Deadman said the tails aren't the worst part of the system....I believe Borla actually uses 2" tails (and larger intermediate pipes) on thier cat-back systems, they say it keeps up the exhaust velocity. I have a nice set of stock tails that I plan to run with a Hooker 2.5" cat-back (intermediate pipes and mufflers).

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
Thanx guys. Hey SEOK, can he make the tips exit at the rear bumper? The reason I ask is on my last wagon (68 Buick Sportwagon w/a 430) it exited behind the wheel. And I would always get an exhaust smell inside the car.
are you talkin about the 68 or the chevy?
regardless, yeah both my 68 buick and my caprice exit at the rear bumper. the buick has a slant cut tip which goes nice with the slant of the skylarks bumper. the chevy is just straight out. not sure if i like it tho, might change it but not sure to what..

·
Registered
533 Posts
It isn't worth the cash for a quarter inch of diameter in the intermediate pipe... There's a link around here somewhere with drag strip test done with varying exhaust pipe diameters, and even single exhaust... Duals help... a quarter inch, not so much.

Stock wagon exhaust is 2.25 cat to muffler, with 2" tails, which include over-the-axle pipe. If you aren't racing the clock, not much point inchanging. Put yer money to better use elsewhere, like diff gears. Way more seat-of-the-pants fun! And I whole-heartedly agree with Frank (et al) who recommended 3.73 diff ratio. Fun, fun, fun!

·
Registered
58 Posts
Hello. Who all is making some nice/fun street power w/the factory 2" tailpipes still intact?
Thanx.
I was running the stock tails and resonators with longtubes, 3" intermediates and flowmasters. High 13's on motor and high 12's on spray.
You do not need as large diameter tails because a lot of the exhaust energy is dissipated thru the intermediate pipes and mufflers. It probably would have made a little more topend power with bigger tails, but the cost/benefit ratio would not be as nice :)

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
Put yer money to better use elsewhere, like diff gears. Way more seat-of-the-pants fun!

Truth spoken! its amazing how much different it feels to go from stock 2.93s to 3.73. yee haw!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.