Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all-
I recently installed the bonneville rear seat back in my Caprice. Since there are different ways to accomplish this but not as many pictures, I thought I'd post these so people can see one way of installing the seat back.

the fit:

HTH somebody. The seat bottom was recovered with the bonnie seat cover, it does not look as pretty. And the Caprice cusion is tall enough to pop the seat back off the hooks I installed, so I still need to either mount them higher or something.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
That's essentially what I did with the rear brackets.

I used the Bonny lower half and just bent heck out of the lower rear wires to get them where I needed them.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey I was just checking out your car domain page. What you are doing with the car looks great, I love all the re-badging.

Anyway, I may look for another bonne seat bottom (I threw mine out). I dont care for how it looks now, the cushion is just a different shape, and the seat skin doesnt look right.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Can I see a full picture with the seat removed? Thanks. Also, do you have dimentions for this piece? I have front seats and rear bottom installed but not the rear back.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

This is all I have at the moment.
haha, thanks MexSS. No plans to make any more though

They were made from a really thick hinge, and cut off with a grinder.
They were then put in a vise and beaten with a hammer to shape them with the help of some big pliers.
If anyone decides to go this route, mount them higher then I did, or make them a little taller. 1/4" maybe.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have several questions with your method, One hows the gap from side to side on the back seat. If you mount the back seat higher your creating a large gap at the bottom of the seat where the two seats meet unless your going to raise the bottom up about 3-inches or so. The other question is on the bottom if you where to leave it as is hows the hieght of the seat in relation to the floor. Also the the bottom seat has a small gap from side to side also but not as bad as the top. the best way to do this is to just swap skins. you dont have to make up those brackets as your frame mounts back in and your bottom seat slides back in no drilling . beating brackets to shape. Please send more pics when complete. I am not bashing your method just that there is a better way and better results and a OEM look.
Carl

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
One hows the gap from side to side on the back seat.
Here is the best picture I have of the back of the seat at the moment, I will take more later today. It doesnt show it very well, but there is not a large gap on the sides. Then again, all of that plastic trim is out of the car at the moment.

If you mount the back seat higher your creating a large gap at the bottom of the seat where the two seats meet unless your going to raise the bottom up about 3-inches or so.
I used the bonneville seat back, but kept the cushion from the Caprice seat. The Caprice cushion is thicker than the bonneville, so there is no gap.
I did swap the seat bottom skin, but am not entirely satisfied with that result, but that is my fault. Since I had a caprice seat, it would have been hard (I imagine) to just swap the skins on the back part as the bonneville had headrests and an armrest the Caprices never got :(

Again I'll post more pics after I take them, of the seat bottom installed.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The frame on the back is the same as the Caprice-Impala. The best way to do this mod is to swap over the skins from the top and bottom along with tha arm rest. I know it looks hard but its the best way . The gap will show up when you install the D-pillar bottom molding back .The back frame mod goes as follows . Remove skin from your old seat then remove the skins from your new seat. mount arm rest in place and cut out the foam so the ar reast can fit. If you have an Impala you can skip this part excelp you have to cut the foam at the top so the arm rest can fit flush. The head rest foam is to be cut out as you are going to reuse that part of the old frame from the bonny seat. the best way to accumplish this mod tis to take it over to a shop and let them saw it right for about 60.00 bucks and it looks OEM. I have done several of these for members of the forum. Ask Boilermaker he has the last one that was done that way. He can tell you the fit is perfect.
Good luck if i was closer i would do this for free and show you how its done very sweet looking when finished. If i can be of any help please let me know.
Carl

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Cool, now I see whatcha mean. Not sure about the D-piller though...

I'm certain this isnt my last B-body, and I'll try doing what you suggest the next time.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
To solve this problem find youself a back froma caprice and take it to a shop and have them remount the skins and you install it back in your car problem solved.
carl

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.