Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Administrator
6,180 Posts
Looks like a normal healthy used engine. No build up on valves, cross hatch still on the cylinder walls. Maybe a little oily on the piston top. Just my 2c...

Reactions: Kittyboy

·
Premium Member
8,666 Posts
Cool! Thanks for sharing.

·
Registered
7,075 Posts
Looks like a normal healthy used engine. No build up on valves, cross hatch still on the cylinder walls. Maybe a little oily on the piston top. Just my 2c...
Agree. The PCV system sucks a lot of oil vapors into the intake, so I'm not surprised at the oil on the piston.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Agree. The PCV system sucks a lot of oil vapors into the intake, so I'm not surprised at the oil on the piston.
After viewing the images I decided to plug the port on my intake snout and vent the passenger valve cover and valley to a catch can with a breather.

Just say NO to recycling PCV crap through my engine, no longer an incinerator for **** oil!

·
Registered
7,075 Posts
Have you ever taken a look inside your intake? Back when I didn't have a lot of money left over from raising the family, one trick I used to make the car more consistent at the track was to coat the inside of the intake with a high temp epoxy. I was trying to mimic the plastic LS intake to reduce the intake temps going into the cylinders. I sprayed 4 or 5 cans of brake cleaner on the inside of that intake trying to get all the oil off before I felt comfortable the epoxy would stick. I couldn't believe GM thought getting the intake that dirty was OK. I guess they had no choice, trying to meet the emissions standards.

Incidentally, the epoxy worked like a charm. I knocked about 2 tenths off my ET compared to before; but more importantly, it made the car more consistent and less sensitive to heat soak when I was waiting in the lanes to run.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Have you ever taken a look inside your intake? Back when I didn't have a lot of money left over from raising the family, one trick I used to make the car more consistent at the track was to coat the inside of the intake with a high temp epoxy. I was trying to mimic the plastic LS intake to reduce the intake temps going into the cylinders. I sprayed 4 or 5 cans of brake cleaner on the inside of that intake trying to get all the oil off before I felt comfortable the epoxy would stick. I couldn't believe GM thought getting the intake that dirty was OK. I guess they had no choice, trying to meet the emissions standards.

Incidentally, the epoxy worked like a charm. I knocked about 2 tenths off my ET compared to before; but more importantly, it made the car more consistent and less sensitive to heat soak when I was waiting in the lanes to run.
No, never heard that before, guess it worked out for you. Most likely I am just going to stay with the stock finish for now.

·
Premium Member
8,666 Posts

I had a TF aluminum intake elbow. Talk about a heat sink. My ETs were like a yo yo. We, well more like Nab, figured out that it may be that the IAT sensor is plugged into an aluminum heat sink and was pulling timing or whatever is does for the PCM. Swapped it out with a stock rubber intake elbow, problem solved. More consistent ETs.

Reactions: stonebreaker
1 - 10 of 10 Posts