Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,328 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I recently picked up a Borgeson steering shaft setup after messing around with a Jeep shaft and wanting to use something new.

I picked up the 450024 steering shaft, 015252 U joint and 034931 U joint.

All I had to do was cut the tube down to length with a chop saw and it fit right up to my Turn One 600 series box. I have a little over 4" of space to collapse which I figure should be enough. The design is very nice with the spring loaded clip piece inside keeping tension on the shaft and the beefy U joints. I just have to paint it and it'll be good to go, may run a small bead of weld on the U joints too just for peace of mind.

It was a little pricey at $260 shipped but the quality is outstanding and it was nice not having to beat it with a hammer for 20 minutes to get it to collapse.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,090 Posts
I put in the same one. It doesn't get any better.

Now all I need is an engine!

ImageUploadedByAutoGuide1450564730.869648.jpg

·
Registered
2,328 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Now all I need is an engine!

View attachment 130985

Same here! haha

I emailed Borgeson to find out if they sell a longer boot that will cover the entire length of the exposed inner "D" shaft so it can be greased and kept protected from rust. Not really a huge deal, but I just don't want to see it rusting and I don't think painting it is a good idea as it could interfere with it collapsing. If they don't sell anything, I am just going to rig something up out of some corrugated rubber hose.

·
Premium Member
2,090 Posts
I'm glad you mentioned the issue regarding collapsing. I was thinking of painting or clearing mine as well, and soon.

I don't know if I messed up on my install, but I can see you have almost twice as much "give" before bottoming out on the bigger shaft.

Or, to put it another way, your steering column would be just touching your chest, compared to mine, which would be an inch INTO my chest!

It's been so long since I did this I can't remember the measurements. I do vaguely remember thinking I messed something up... Then again I put in a different steering box, so it might be that.

Good for me I have long legs and arms, so I'll just put my seat back just a little further. :)

Your engine bay is impressively clean, looks great.

·
Premium Member
2,090 Posts

·
Registered
2,328 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Gerry, thanks for that! I actually have an old Jeep shaft with bad U joints laying around, going to cut a piece of the inner D shaft off of that now.

Ocala, what I did to get a little over 4" of collapsible length was to cut the outer D tube down so that the inner D shaft was almost flush with the end of it when fully collapsed. With the 600 series box anyway, this got me to where I was with enough room for safety to collapse.

·
Premium Member
2,090 Posts
Gerry, thanks for that! I actually have an old Jeep shaft with bad U joints laying around, going to cut a piece of the inner D shaft off of that now.

Ocala, what I did to get a little over 4" of collapsible length was to cut the outer D tube down so that the inner D shaft was almost flush with the end of it when fully collapsed. With the 600 series box anyway, this got me to where I was with enough room for safety to collapse.

Makes Sense. I don't think I trimmed the inner shaft much...

I know this adjustment would be easier with the engine out of the car, but if I keep doing side projects I'll never finish!

Thanks for the advice.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts