Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have any experience in having a Borla car back exhaust? I'm lookin to ordering a system this week and any input would help. Currently have Flowmasters on but not too happy with the drone.

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
pretty quiet system, perfect for a cruising, but for sound look elsewhere. When I bought my Impala, it had the whole system installed. Only thing I liked about it was the tips and it being stainless. IMO, its alot of coin to spend on a mediocre system.

BTW, its a 2.25 system, stock is as well, up to the resonators.

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
Just curious what recommendations there are.
http://www.impalassforum.com/vBulletin/showthread.php?t=227714

Almost 73 thousand views. In this thread, if people are feeling generous you might get a dozen (probably fewer) responses.

Go w/ the odds. Read the sticky and see what other people think/know.

Exhaust and exhaust tone is as subjective a topic as exists. If standing right next to it and listening isn't possible, reading is your next best friend.

·
Registered
177 Posts
I like mine. It's loud enough with no drone, no issues with the stainless. It purrs. But all tastes are in nature.

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
My young adult Son loves the sound of his Borla exhaust, on our 1996 BBB Impala SS.

I think there too loud. Drives me nuts on the freeway.

I have Walker Dynomax Super Turbos on my 1988 Lincoln Mark VII LSC and 1979 "Bandit" Trans Am. Those are just right for me. Considerably quieter , especially on the freeway.

To each his own.

·
Registered
341 Posts
The Pypes cat back is pretty good and what I'm currently running on my 96. It is 2.5" from the cats to the tips, the front x-pipe is stainless while the tailpipes are aluminized steel. You can order the system with their mufflers or order it without mufflers and use what you want. I have Flowmaster Super 40's on mine and it sounds great. There is some drone, but it doesn't bother me.

Steve

·
Registered
995 Posts
This is a picture of the Borla exhaust with resonator delete. It's now a little louder than stock, but only when I get on it. The drone exists between 55-60mph, but it does not bother me. There's definitly a little more rumble to it now. Stock was just a little too "wimpy" for this muscle car imo.

·
Registered
2,058 Posts

·
Premium Member
793 Posts
Gabe,
I've had 3 of them on 95-96 stock B cars.I've installed 7 of them on same for others.I personally like the system.My taste runs more to the quieter side,though.Which the Borla pretty much is,as others here have stated.Fit is good,easy to install at home on jack stands,etc...Agree it is a little pricy,but it is good looking,imo.FWIW-the new Borla's for our B-cars come with the Borla name stamped onto the 3.5" inter cooled exhaust tips.The older Borla's do not have their name stamped on the tips,which I prefer.The pipe sizes are same as the stock OEM pipes 2 1/4" down to 2".Borla also now includes a better clamp style,also pictured.

I added a couple pics of the last system I installed system.Hope this helps! Jim

Attachments

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
I just took the borla system off my car. It sounds good from the outside of the car as the car is going down the road...but from the inside, it's boring as hell. It may not "drone" but the sound is always the exact same tone unless you're really on the gas. Then it sounds tits.

Also, I don't like the downturn look either...so in the trash it went.

I've had a few different exhausts on my cars. My LS2 GTO came with stock exhaust and flowmasters. Sounded great. Added long tubes, and still sounded great...but with no cats was obnoxiously loud. No drone to speak of though. Moved to Magnaflows, which sounded more "exotic" than "muscle car." My biggest complaint with them was they made "put put" noises on decel...instead of the nice v8 burble that the flowmasters made. And even after adding cats it was kinda raspy in the top end. I always wished I had kept the flowmasters on there.

On the impala, i had the borla...and now I've got the CIA spin tech. It sounds great but for what I went through to get it, the cost, and the more money I had to spend to make it fit right, I wish I would have just got the american thunder system. I can't say I felt any difference on my old car between the flowmasters or the magnaflows so I don't really care if people say they don't flow as well.

If you do go with a big manufacturer brand...look on ebay. When I bought the magnaflow system for my GTO it was $700+ everywhere. Knowing full well the demand for exhaust systems for such a limited production car couldn't be that high, I found sellers who were asking the full price OBO. I offered a guy $600 shipped and had it 3 days later. I was about to do the same thing with the flowmaster system but I went with the CIA instead. I expect you could pick up an american thunder system for less than $600 on ebay if you find someone taking offers.

·
Registered
920 Posts
Their warranty is great, I've had my setup for 6 yrs and recently it cracked at the H-pipe. They replaced it without hassle for free.

I also prefer the subtle setup but at WOT, it sounds great.

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
If I could have had the outside sound form inside the car, I'd have left it. But sadly is was more like listening to an appliance of some sort. Just a constant hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

·
Registered
5,771 Posts
I hate to use this reference again (okay maybe I don't) but I had Borla on my SRT8 and it was the best exhaust I've heard on V8. I liked that is was impossible to get drone, was quiet while cruising, but getting on it a bit had great sound and WOT was orgasmic IMO.

I'd love to hear an SS in person with the same setup, I'm not sure which model Mopar puts on at the dealer (not factory) but it was great, and very expensive. When I sold the car I had people telling me they had wished they would have know so they could give me their exhaust plus $1000.

GLWS

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
Their warranty is great, I've had my setup for 6 yrs and recently it cracked at the H-pipe. They replaced it without hassle for free.

I also prefer the subtle setup but at WOT, it sounds great.
Does one need the original receipt, for warranty work?

·
Registered
362 Posts
I have the hooker catback on my car and I like it a lot. It doesn't hardly drone on the freeway and sounds pretty mean at WOT. When I installed it I had to take it to an exhaust shop to fine tune the fitment and weld it up (it came with the old style crimp clamps that are crap). This setup also eliminated the resonators as well which I like. I have had the system on the car for 8 or 9 years and Im still happy with it. Although one day I may get a set of electric cutouts for when I want to really annoy people.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Anyone have any experience in having a Borla car back exhaust? I'm lookin to ordering a system this week and any input would help. Currently have Flowmasters on but not too happy with the drone.
I have Borla Exhaust System on my SS. You can buy it for $400 and I'm in Jacksonville if you're still interested. It sounds awesome to me but too restrictive for my stroker motor.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.