Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone gone to the trouble of boxing the side frame rails, the ones that run parallel under the passenger compartment :confused: How do you deal with the fuel and brake lines that run inside the rails :confused: Replace & reroute or leave in place :confused: What gauge steel for the boxing :confused:

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I figured I'd reuse this existing thread instead of starting a new one.

I assume that replacing and rerouting the fuel and brake lines is the best way to go. One problem I can see has to do with body bushing #3 (located in between the front and rear tires, about where the B-pillar is). The access hole in the lower part of the frame does not appear large enough to allow replacement of the bushing assembly after frame boxing.

The only two solutions I can see are <UL TYPE=SQUARE><LI>Enlarge the existing access hole in the frame<LI>Leave a gap in the boxing section large enough to access the bushing assembly for replacement[/list]

Pros and cons to the above items? Any other ideas I did not come up with?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I am guessing you are intending to remove the body from the frame??

If you intend to go to all that trouble I would recommend using at least 1/8" plate.
Also weld all frame seams solid.. you would be surprised how much this will add in terms of strength and stiffness. Go ahead and cut the holr in the frame large enough to reinstall the bushing. you could do a number of other things depending on what you intend to do with the car???

Add weight jacks in all spring positions!
Notch the rear frame rails for clearance for those 18 X 11's!

Run bigger fuel lines to the front of the chassis.

FWIW - when fully prepping an old "A" Body chassis in similiar fashion + adding a cage we would use much of a 10lb spool of MIG wire.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.