Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As most know, I have Boyd Smoothie II's on the 96 SS. 18x10's and 18x9's front. I want to get some matching 15 inch wheels for the back when I go to the track, and I found these Boyd Smoothie I's on line. Miracle of miracles, it's one of the few wheels Boyd makes in 15 inches.
Boyd Smoothie I in 15x10

They look almost identical to my Smoothie II's, I think the difference is that the Smoothie I's don't have a flat deep dish, it's got a step up in the lip.

Bottom line is this.

Since my 18x10's fit real nice with 5.625 inches of backspacing, I will stick with that backspacing when I order the 15x10's unless Ed Runnion tells me something different.

But now my question is...how big of a slick can I stuff in there (preferably not bigger than 28 inches tall) without rubbing anything.

I am thinking 26x11.5's or 28x11.5's. I think I want to get a street slick, since it will keep me out of certain tech categories at certain tracks and certain events.

I currently run 26x10.5's on 16x8 rims on the 502 and Flambe, they fit great and hook well but I think the 96 SS is going to need a bit more rubber on the pavement. Can you say mini-tub? ;)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Given the "wider" overhang of a slick on a 15" rim compared to the relatively tight sidewall on an 18" rim....they'll hit with that backspacing.

I'd be inclined to say that what'll fit is somewhere approx 6.25" backspacing. That said, I'd probably order 6.5" backspacing and then run a 1/4" spacer on one (or both) sides if necessary to avoid frame rub.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
careful about brake caliper clearance on any 15x10"er...The deeper that you get the backspacing...the closer that "stepped up" lip on the Smoothie I's will get to your caliper.

Against all known logic and safety concerns I had to grind a bit on my rear calipers in strategic areas to get my set of 15x10 Prime Model 231 wheels to clear with a 5.5" backspacing.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Chris, DON'T YOU KNOW IT! My 17x9.5 inch Rodder 5's slightly touched the front control arm and the caliper until I put 1/16th inch spacers in the front. I also did a little grinding on the control arm (just a touch) to get it to fit. Too much excess material on there anyway! :rolleyes:

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Prime 231's? I used to work for Prime! Ran the ATL ga warehouse. I'll bet I've met the guy who designed your wheel. Don't hold it against me.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ed;

I don't mean to argue, but I really don't want to put spacers on drag wheels. My 16 inch ET Streets are almost done and I want to get 15x10's to match the other wheels on the car.

Is there a 'safe' backspacing that I KNOW will fit? Like I said, the 5.625 backspace fits no problem on the 18x10's.

But I hear you about the 15 inch tires having more sidewall to bulge over the side of the rim so I need a bit more backspacing than 5.625 inches. However I don't want to risk hitting anything on the inside either (frame, calipers, etc).

Here is how she is sitting now, she is BEGGING for the matching 15's. But Daddy needs the deep dish and I can't settle for 15x8's!

Thanks,

Bill

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Bill, those rims look orgasmic. I defintely sold on ordering a set of Rodders in 18x9 and 18x10. What size tires do you have? I can't make out that marking. What is your backspacing on the front? What are your offsets? Sorry for going off topic, but your mailbox is full. Thanks.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Bill,
Just take the cross section of the slick you are going to run compared to the cross section of the ET Street.
The 28x11.5 will be bigger.
If the difference is say 1". Use 1/2" for the outside and take that from the backspacing of the wheel.
This will put the tire right where the ET Street is at.
But remeber we aonly have about 13" of fender well to play with on these cars.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
BK, just another thought. How about a 15x9? I run 15x9 Draglite XP's, with a 5.5 BS. This allows a 27x11.5 Hoosier QTP, which is DOT legal, and I used to drive to the track with this combo. They fit, with plenty of clearance, and the QTP should handle most applications! :cool:

My Impala is still in the shop with a dropped valve. She'll be poked quite a bit, when I get her back.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Troy;
Thanks for the tip.

Bob;
They don't make this wheel in a 15x9, believe me I have checked. See link above.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Originally posted by NJraver1:
Bill, those rims look orgasmic. I defintely sold on ordering a set of Rodders in 18x9 and 18x10. What size tires do you have?
Sorry, just saw your question. Thanks for the nice compliment on the wheels. That deep dish is what it's all about!

I went with 285/40/18's on the back and 275/40/18's on the front. Rear backspacing is 5.625 inches and front backspacing is 5.125. I did not order the backspacing that way, I bought them from someone that already ordered them. But they fit perfect!

Also, since Ed won't post
I finally ordered the 15x10 Smoothie I's for the track. 6-10 weeks until I get them, I am already dying for them! The only difference is the Smoothie I's will have a stepped lip and not the flat smooth lip like the Smoothie II's, but at 10 inches deep they should look good anyway.

I scored a deal and a half for these bitches, $220 each plus only $27 for shipping. I guess the 15 inch wheels aren't as popular anymore.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Originally posted by Big Kahuna:
I went with 285/40/18's on the back and 275/40/18's on the front. Rear backspacing is 5.625 inches and front backspacing is 5.125. I did not order the backspacing that way, I bought them from someone that already ordered them. But they fit perfect!
[/QB]
Hm. Unless I grossly misunderstand something, that someone reduced backspacings to gain some outside "lip". What are your offsets?
Thanks in advance for your help...

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
That was pretty quick, I got the rims already the other day! They look cool. Of course they came in the week AFTER MM! Hahahaha!

As I said above, I went with 15 x 10's and 6 inches of backspacing. They make look a little goofy with 18's in the front when I am at the track, but it has to look better than this (sorry about the Meef in front of my car):

I also just ordered up some fatty MT ET Streets in 28 x 12.50 x 15 to fill up the wheel wells!

I actually found an unbelievable deal on these slicks: $355 for 2 ET Streets in size mentioned above, PLUS a bag of 32 rim screws, PLUS shipping included. PLUS, they will be here in under 3 days! 1-800-999-DRAG! Summit's price was about $425 with tire shipping charges thrown in, so my buddy Joe Amodea saved me about $75! Super nice people too! Woman sounded hot on the phone...

Anyway, here they are. YEE HAA:

Look at that backspacing!

Man those look really wide...

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hey Bill

They look good cant wait to see them mounted up and smokin Aug 7th at Big Kahuna Drag Day

Tim

G

·
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Originally posted by Big Kahuna:

I actually found an unbelievable deal on these slicks: $355 for 2 ET Streets in size mentioned above, PLUS a bag of 32 rim screws, PLUS shipping included. PLUS, they will be here in under 3 days! 1-800-999-DRAG! Summit's price was about $425 with tire shipping charges thrown in, so my buddy Joe Amodea saved me about $75! Super nice people too! Woman sounded hot on the phone...

Anyway, here they are. YEE HAA:
Hey.. Thats a trade secret.. The phone number there changes every 36 hours ;) :D

G

·
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Very nice wheels, I love the Boyd smoothies.

I really like the Big Kahuna logo on the center caps, never noticed that before.

Wish I could find a deal on some Boyd smoothies, can't afford the price for the new ones.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Bob;
Thanks. Try Newstalgia Wheels. I got them for almost half of the price on Boyds site.

Well, the GOOD NEWS is that I got the MT ET Streets in. 28x12.5x15 for my big wheels.
DATS SOME BIG MEAT DERE!

So I headed on over to my local tire place to do some test fitting...

The boys weren't very busy that day...I guess this is what you call tire shop hijinks!

Anyway, look at the SIZE of these monster meats! Holy Cow!

Sorry, camera phone needs a little cleaning I guess...

Anyway, the tires on the rims fit inside the wheel well PERFECT when lowered to the ground! Excellent Smithers! Nice gap to the frame, plus enough room to the outer molding too. Should be enough sidewall too eh?

The only bad part is I need to do a WEE bit of grinding on the rear calipers. They just touch a tiny bit. This will be a good excuse to paint them after I grind 'em down anyway!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
BK, dude, you gotta get a shot of them ON THE CAR!!! Like ASAP. That's gotta look sick!!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Hahaha Josh I know.

I didn't get a good one, thought I did. Let me check my crappy camera phone to see if I have anything legible.

And now it's in the trunk since I have to do some grinding so it may be a few days before y'all see something good.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
We will try and do some grinding tonite or tomorrow.

Here is the only other legible pic I found on my camera phone.

It doesn't really show how that sucker fills up the wheel well, and I can't tell from this pic if car was completely off the jack and under it's own weight but it's close...

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.