1) Cut the aluminum tube as close to the rubber as possible
2) Drop a tube nut on and single flare it (on each end of course)
3) Use Aeroquip AN connectors to braided nylon line that is a little longer than stock so I can tie them out of the way of the suspension.
I was going to use my extra fittings and braided line sitting around, but it sounds like it needs to be specifically for A\C, otherwise the R134 will eat into the hose. Also, I am not sure if I can reuse the existing aluminum tubing.
I live right down the street from Jegs, so I will definately talk to those guys before purchasing anything. I want to redo just the problem line for the moment and see if it works correctly before R&Ring the whole system.
Sounds like a plan... let us know how it works out.
I could be mistaken, but I think I remember someone else looking into this and something didn't match up quite right with their hose ends and our connectors. Maybe the wrong thread pitch, or o-ring vs flared fittings? I really don't recall the exact issue, but that is why I recommended you really do your homework before plunking down any cash for parts.
I am new to this forum and this is my first post. The same thing happened to me. I put on a set of Edelbrock shorty headers and it melted through 2 sets of hoses and the third one was rubbed all the way through by the suspension. I decided to make my own using braided stainless steel AC lines from Aeroquip. I reused the old fittings and attached them to the new hose. They were a bitch. Depending on what brand of hoses you have it has trouble slipping in or being tight enough. They didn't work. I tried using 3 sets of gator clamps on each end and just found out it still wasn't enough. They still leaked. I was just told by the shop the hoses have to hold about 300 psi. I hope for your sanity and wallet it works better for you. I wrapped a regular set of hoses in some header wrap I have. They are 6" wide so they cover all the way around and I covered them several times. I used stainless steel wire to pull the hose away from the suspension and hooked them to the alternator bracket so you can't really see it unless you lean over and look down. - Sam
If you used conventional Aeroquip braided hose, the problem isn't pressure-- it's diffusion through the hose. The R134 molecule is small and will pass through any non-barrier hose. So will just about all other refrigerants. Aeroquip makes a hose specific to A/C systems that includes a barrier to keep refrigerants from leaking.
Also, if you didn't use the correct fittings on the ends of the hose, a lot of the refrigerant probably migrated out this way. You cannot use any of the performance braided hoses the way you would use regular hose (IE with hose clamps). You have to use fittings specific to the particular type of hose you're using. It can be done, but the hoses and fittings are a bit pricey, and you have to be meticulous in your assembly. If the hose leaks even a little, you can kiss all that refrigerant goodbye. I posted links to some of the Aeroquip catalogs for A/C stuff a while back. It was after the crash, so you should still be able to find it if you search.
Man, I could of really used your advice before I went insane doing all of it. LOL. I used the right hoses and fittings, they were Aeroquip A/C specific hoses and the fittings from the punctured hoses, but my problem was getting a tight enough connection from the fittings and hoses. There was a 2mm gap between the fittings and the Aeroquip hoses or the opening and the fitting was the exact same size so I couldn't fit them on. I think it is because they were from 4 Seasons instead of the AC Delco originally used when the car was stock. The hose-to-fitting design and size might be a bit different.
Aeroquip only had one of the fittings I needed (for the accumulator). I couldn't find the ones that connect up to the front next to the radiator or to the compressor. That is why I re-used the original fittings.
I gave up and just wrapped a set of normal hoses with header wrapped and a Thermo-Tec heat sleeves on them. If anyone comes up with a steel braided solution I hope they post on how they did it. I have given up on experimenting.
I only tried because some else had done it and gave the sizing for the braided stainless steel hoses needed.