Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my brake lights stop working, but my third brake light works just fine. I have checked the fuses next to the drivers door, and they were all good. and my brake light switch seems to be working fine but i could be wrong can someone help me.

·
Registered
3,762 Posts

·
Premium Member
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
real issue

Ok so Iread other articles about brake lights not working. In one it said that there is a white wire from the steering column. So I looked and there was a harness that one side was not connected all the way. So I pushed it in the connector. i had brake lights and my lights worked perfect, but when I tried to start my car it would not start, so i pulled that side of the harness back out and my car started but now I am back to the same problem which is no brake lights. Any suggestions. I was thinking about splicing that white wire into the other wire that was on the other side of the connector. What ya'll think.

·
Registered
3,762 Posts
I wonder if the previous owner did that to the car? I ended up doing just that to the white wire on my son's car. Anyway, it sounds like there is a problem up stream of that connector that will take some effort to nail down.

·
Premium Member
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
this is a weird one

I went back to my car and i pushed that harness back in to see if it would do the same thing. And I dont know maybe it was a glitch or something cause my car started and now the brakes work.

·
Registered
3,762 Posts
Outstanding, glad it is fixed!

·
Premium Member
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
yeah

yeah that had me scratching my head big time i am already bald. This has been the car I always wanted and its going to make me lose my mind. I am finding out that these cars are sensitive if the previous owner didnt take care of it.....:D

·
Registered
3,762 Posts
Yes, that is a very true statement!

·
Registered
11,749 Posts
Ok so Iread other articles about brake lights not working. In one it said that there is a white wire from the steering column. So I looked and there was a harness that one side was not connected all the way. So I pushed it in the connector. i had brake lights and my lights worked perfect, but when I tried to start my car it would not start, so i pulled that side of the harness back out and my car started but now I am back to the same problem which is no brake lights. Any suggestions. I was thinking about splicing that white wire into the other wire that was on the other side of the connector. What ya'll think.
You may have a short (pinched wires) in the steering column. The only way to tell is to check for continuity/ground/short between wires.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts