Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
And maybe looking at title and asking what do I mean by Springs? well I was getting onto the parkway with my 96 Caprice 144k and the brake pedal went all the way to the floor. I rear-ended somebody but there's no apparent damage. I nursed the car home, and left it at the mechanics shop. What I don't understand is how both systems failed. If you lose a brake line at least two of the wheels should still have brakes right? I had no brakes. The lines under the master cylinder had fluid around them, and he replaced them. the pedal was spongy and the boss worked on it and this time it was okay. But I had noticed before the work was done, that there were Springs around the brake lines going forward to a device which I assume is related to the ABS. They never replaced them. I'm assuming that they work for cooling purposes. I didn't realize this until it was too late to get the parts back. Are they necessary or desirable? I'm always reluctant to change anything that the factory installed since I assume they know the car and wouldn't put anything on that cost them money if it wasn't necessary. the shop manual doesn't say anything about this. Hockey John

·
Premium Member
7,097 Posts
It is protective armor.
Nothing to do with operation.
The stuff is a double edged sword.
Under the car it protects from rocks and such
It also collects abrasives like dirt and holds moisture and corrosive salts .

Replacing lines it also allows you to make pretty sharp bends without the correct tools.
Short lines it can be a pain keeping it back from the flaring tool.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts