Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to upgrade the brakes on my 95 SS, rotors and calipers. I've noticed a lot of shuddering under hard braking at higher speeds. I've looked at SSBC, Baer, Wilwood, etc., all expensive. I want to increase overall performance, but I don't intend to turn this into a race car. A few questions for you pros out there.

How many pistons should I go with? 1? 2? 4? How much braking improvement would I get vs. stock? Should I get "smaller" rear calipers (I know the front brakes do most of the work)? Should I just stick with the stock setup (refurbished or new, of course) and install very good pads (ceramic?)? I've already bought the Stealth/Bolt & Bolt II Metering kit from PPM.

Should I replace the rotors with slotted and drilled ones, or both? Or stay with stock replacements?

I like the SSBC products but they're very expensive. I'm considering the A194 SuperTwin caliper upgrade kit and the A2350009 slotted rotor kit (f/r).

I've also looked at Centric, Power Stop, Power Slot, and EBC products.

Folks, if you have any advice, suggestions, opinions, etc. that you'd like to share, please do so.

Thanks for reading my long post.

Joseph cwm3

·
Premium Member
425 Posts
If you aren't going to go road racing with your car, contact Bill Harper (NavyLifer on the Forum) direct and give him your requirements and especially your budget and ask him for his best recommendation. Todd Cook at TCE would be the one to talk to if you intend on racing your car, as the Wilwood braking system is ideal for road course work.

My car is autocrossed and I have found that Bill's 13 inch C5 Corvette Calipers with Kore3 rotor system is more than up to the task of fade free braking and his 12 inch system has received high praises from everyone who has purchased it.

Bill Harper Email: [email protected]
Todd Cook Email: [email protected]

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
If you aren't going to go road racing with your car, contact Bill Harper (NavyLifer on the Forum) direct and give him your requirements and especially your budget and ask him for his best recommendation. Todd Cook at TCE would be the one to talk to if you intend on racing your car, as the Wilwood braking system is ideal for road course work.

My car is autocrossed and I have found that Bill's 13 inch C5 Corvette Calipers with Kore3 rotor system is more than up to the task of fade free braking and his 12 inch system has received high praises from everyone who has purchased it.

Bill Harper Email: [email protected]
Todd Cook Email: [email protected]et
He stated he did not intend on turning it into a race car -_-

·
Registered
216 Posts
There are several simple mods to improve braking performance. Search the brake section. Lots of good information. Bill H is the expert on brake upgrades.

Try these mods before going to the next level.
- stealth and metering bolts - Bill sells them
- replace rubber brake lines with steel braided
- use the caliper brake kit when RR brakes - it has the pieces that wear out
- make sure the rotors at in top condition. The shudder at high speed could be the results of a slight warp in a rotor. Can replace with a directional vane rotor to improve cooling. Slotted rotors are ok but consensus is stay away from drilled rotors if you do any track driving or hard braking.
- use a more aggressive pad. Performance Friction or Hawk pads
- RR brake fluid with clean fluid.

Lots of little things you can do that will make a noticeable difference in braking action.

I did all these before upgrading to Kore 3 C6 front caliper and larger rotor.

Happy modding!

Pat
95 SS

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
im not trying to thread jack but if going with ceramic pads where can i get them from front and rear for a 9c1?

·
Premium Member
1,401 Posts
- RR brake fluid with clean fluid.
That right there is no joke. I changed my fluid when I had my rear end out. The pedal felt so much better after.

·
Premium Member
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
RR?

Educate me. What does RR mean? Besides railroad.

·
Premium Member
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I checked out the Kore 3 site and didn't find any specific applications for 95 Impalas. And what does RR mean?

·
Premium Member
6,358 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,396 Posts
I want to upgrade the brakes on my 95 SS, rotors and calipers.
Joseph, take a look at these threads from the past.

I'll be happy to respond to any specifics if you still have questions after sifting through the threads I've linked--the real question is....what is your budget? Increasing overall performance is not automatic, and it sounds more like you have some problems with your existing brake system that are preventing it from performing as it should. The Impala SS brakes, in "new" condition, work VERY well. How far you want to go beyond that is what you have to think about.

I see you're fairly new here--welcome aboard!

im not trying to thread jack but if going with ceramic pads where can i get them from front and rear for a 9c1?
The availability of "ceramic" pads is quite limited for the specific 9C1 application, since it was a relatively low production model, and we're talking 15 years past--most manufacturers/brake suppliers are not going to tool up to meet a demand that is going to be very low for this item & application. Ceramic pads were not really a big part of the brake market until well after the B-body was out of production, so there's not as many choices out there.

One listing at Rock Auto for front only:
AUTOSPECIALTY / KELSEY-HAYES Part # 16614A12
Front Ceramic; w/4 Wheel Disc Brakes; PRO SERIES CERAMIC

http://www.baer.com/products/oe/sport-touring-pad.php

http://www.autoanything.com/brakes/61A3942A0A0A3107101.aspx

Baer Caprice Front: the pad listed is a D52 spec--not correct for 9C1, and although the Impala pad is D614 spec, it is not the thicker version required for 9C1

Rear: (same as Caprice 9C1)
Baer Sport-Touring Brake Pads
Rear Brake Pads
Vehicle 1996 Chevy Impala
Submodel All Impala models
AutoAnything SKU 3249669
Part # D0628

Satisfied Brakes (available from Tire Rack and other sources)

For ultimate street performance, GS6 Carbon-Ceramic pads provide impressive braking power to match the needs of a more spirited driver. GS6 improves on the stopping power of conventional OE compounds, delivering a stable friction coefficient of 0.38 – 0.42 in a 100 – 700°F operating range. GS6 stops your vehicle...hot or cold!

Like GS5, GS6 outperforms the OE with reduced noise, dust and superior braking comfort. Advanced friction retention systems, shims, slots and chamfers ensure performance, comfort and enhanced safety under all driving conditions

Designed for the Import Tuner, Muscle Car enthusiast and Sport Truck driver, GS6 friction provides performance and confidence to stop with predictable consistancy. GS6 performance also caters to commercial vehicles, light trucks, SUV's or mini-vans hauling families, trailers and heavy loads.

Offered in a virtually infinite application selection, both front and rear, GS6 opens the world of performance driving with an affordable and serious friction selection.

Front Police & Taxi GS6D614A (thick pad spec for 9C1)

Rear With Rear Discs, Police GS6D628

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
Joseph, take a look at these threads from the past.

I'll be happy to respond to any specifics if you still have questions after sifting through the threads I've linked--the real question is....what is your budget? Increasing overall performance is not automatic, and it sounds more like you have some problems with your existing brake system that are preventing it from performing as it should. The Impala SS brakes, in "new" condition, work VERY well. How far you want to go beyond that is what you have to think about.

I see you're fairly new here--welcome aboard!

The availability of "ceramic" pads is quite limited for the specific 9C1 application, since it was a relatively low production model, and we're talking 15 years past--most manufacturers/brake suppliers are not going to tool up to meet a demand that is going to be very low for this item & application. Ceramic pads were not really a big part of the brake market until well after the B-body was out of production, so there's not as many choices out there.

One listing at Rock Auto for front only:
AUTOSPECIALTY / KELSEY-HAYES Part # 16614A12
Front Ceramic; w/4 Wheel Disc Brakes; PRO SERIES CERAMIC

http://www.baer.com/products/oe/sport-touring-pad.php

http://www.autoanything.com/brakes/61A3942A0A0A3107101.aspx

Baer Caprice Front: the pad listed is a D52 spec--not correct for 9C1, and although the Impala pad is D614 spec, it is not the thicker version required for 9C1

Rear: (same as Caprice 9C1)
Baer Sport-Touring Brake Pads
Rear Brake Pads
Vehicle 1996 Chevy Impala
Submodel All Impala models
AutoAnything SKU 3249669
Part # D0628

Satisfied Brakes (available from Tire Rack and other sources)

For ultimate street performance, GS6 Carbon-Ceramic pads provide impressive braking power to match the needs of a more spirited driver. GS6 improves on the stopping power of conventional OE compounds, delivering a stable friction coefficient of 0.38 – 0.42 in a 100 – 700°F operating range. GS6 stops your vehicle...hot or cold!

Like GS5, GS6 outperforms the OE with reduced noise, dust and superior braking comfort. Advanced friction retention systems, shims, slots and chamfers ensure performance, comfort and enhanced safety under all driving conditions

Designed for the Import Tuner, Muscle Car enthusiast and Sport Truck driver, GS6 friction provides performance and confidence to stop with predictable consistancy. GS6 performance also caters to commercial vehicles, light trucks, SUV's or mini-vans hauling families, trailers and heavy loads.

Offered in a virtually infinite application selection, both front and rear, GS6 opens the world of performance driving with an affordable and serious friction selection.

Front Police & Taxi GS6D614A (thick pad spec for 9C1)

Rear With Rear Discs, Police GS6D628
thank you sir cuz its it ceramic pads or a dust shield

·
Registered
5,693 Posts
I've noticed a lot of shuddering under hard braking at higher speeds.
Joseph cwm3
Doesn't mean it's the brakes, ANY worn suspension part's can do the same thing.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts