Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today I pulled into the parking lot and stopped. Stepped on the pedal and it goes all the way to the floor with the red brake light illuminated. Can a brake booster go bad? or is this the master cylinder doa. I think I lucked out by it dying at slow speed. I'm thinking a tow truck is in order. Triple A FTW

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
Today I pulled into the parking lot and stopped. Stepped on the pedal and it goes all the way to the floor with the red brake light illuminated. Can a brake booster go bad? or is this the master cylinder doa. I think I lucked out by it dying at slow speed. I'm thinking a tow truck is in order. Triple A FTW
Sure a booster can go bad. That isn't the problem though. Symptoms of a bad booster are hissing (vacuum) noise and difficulty depressing pedal. You've the opposite problem. Probably master cylinder although I'd go around and underneath all lines to check for leaks, preferably at the exact spot it happened. A ruptured line could do this as well. If no leaks found, master cylinder it is.

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Had it towed to the shop with the triple A

Both front lines are bad one ruptured and the other had a small leak.

·
Registered
6,949 Posts
I recently got a leak near the ABS pump, same symptoms. Good it was a close call and not realised on the highway. Mine got symptoms backing out of the driveway, and it's been parked across the street ever since til I can fix it. 1 more final then play time!

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I just got off the highway where I had to stop quick for a traffic backup. I was going 5mph when the brakes went to the floor. Someone is looking out for me I think:).

The shop with labor(new lines both sides,brake bleeding etc) is 160 total- not too bad I think and I don't have to miss work.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts