Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 96 Caprice with a brake pull to the right. Both front and rear calipers and associated hardware have been changed as well as, cutting the rotors. Also, the alignment has been set and the tires rotated and balanced. I don't know what else it could be. :confused: Hope you brake guru's can help.

Thanks
Hat

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
make sure your shims did not fall out of the top of the A-arm!

I have custom shims now that cant fall out,

Tad out

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the tip Tad, however, the shims are still in. The only other thing I think it can be is a bad ABS pump. Can this be possible? I thought the pump only gets involved when anti-lock is needed. I hope there is another answer, cause, that pump is freakin' expensive

Thanks
Hat

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
One of the brake calipers could need rebuilding and not be closing good.

Have you put the car on a rack and tested the brakes?

TAD

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by ProTools4:
One of the brake calipers could need rebuilding and not be closing good.

Have you put the car on a rack and tested the brakes?

TAD
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Both front calipers and hardware have been replaced and the brake fluid has been replaced and obviously the system bled. Also, both flexible brake hoses have been replaced. I think I'm s.o.l. and have to replace the pump. Thanks for the assistance

Hat

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I seriously doubt it is your ABS...
There are some other options...
My first guess is a sticky slide pin. Did you lubricate your new pins?
Your pins should be able to slide in and out easily. When you say you replaced the associated hardware did you replace the O rings on the front calipers? If those go bad or are not lubricated they can stick. I believe the rear brakes are real prone to sticking. I have had to replace 3 of the mounting brackets on my car. You really need to replace the dust caps on these rear brakes when you put on new pads.

If your rotors are also new or atleast turned there is one other option you did not mention looking at.

The flexible hoses CAN collapse internally and you will never know it externally unless you cut the hose up. Even a slight restriction can cause problems. I would replace these LONG before messing with the ABS.. I believe the ABS is setup to be bypassed during normal usage and only comes into play when you need it. That way you can still safely drive the car when it goes bad and all you loose is the ABS function.

You can probably rule out the flexible hose going from the rear frame to the T since it would affect BOTH the rear brakes evenly.
And due to their movements the front hoses are the most likely to cause problems.

Another thing is that it is possible you either have bad brake fluid in your lines or an air bubble. The ABS valve can trap some air in the system. It is apparent that bleeding our cars once is generally not enough. You may need to bleed the brakes, drive the car a 100 miles or so and rebleed the brakes.. I had to do this on my car 3 times before all the air was out of the system. I put 4 new calipers and a new MC on my car at the time. My brakes have acted the same every since. (I also have Russel SS brake lines at the 4 calipers...)
And yes I had apparently bled all the air out of the system but yet got the symptoms of an air bubble in the lines. I ended up bleeding them 2 more times after the first three time as a precaution but did not need it.

Most fluids other then the stock fluid is prone to collecting moisture as well. If you get water in one of your brake lines... Well lets just say water is a poor hydraulic fluid.

So, if you have replaced the calipers, refaced the rotors, lubed the caliper hardware and put new pads on (Correctly....)
I would say replace the flexible lines and bleed, bleed, bleed your system. And do it more then once...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.