Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After swapping my rear end BACK to my original 373 (had stock for a while after 373 went out) this past weekend, my brakes have felt very soft. As in, I need to depress the pedal ALL the way to come to a standstill. All the fluids have been checked and are full, what else should I check? My ABS light has been on, but would that be causing my brakes to be that soft?

·
Registered
7,785 Posts
Honestly, if that's all you did it just sounds like you need to bleed the system. Be sure to check for wet spots on any of the lines for possible leaks. New hoses would also be a good idea if yours have a lot of time on them. Also be sure the correct calipers are on each side of the rear. There was a recent thread where someone had these reversed which put the bleeders in the wrong direction to properly bleed the system. The bleeder need to be at the high side in order to ge the air out.

May not be a bad idea to pick up a quart or 2 of fluid, flush out the old fluid and then bleed RR, LR, RF and LF calipers. When I do this, I like to take a lint free cloth and let the Resevoir get just low enuff that I can wipe out the insides of the Resevoir and get the black crud out before adding clean fresh fluid. Then just gravity bleed until clean fluid comes out and I then vacuum bleed each circuit just because I have mightvac tool. Speed bleeders are also a nice convienience to add to the calipers.

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
or get your brake-pedal buddy and pump, pump, pump & hold, bleed, close and repeat - interspersed with the occasional stop to check the fluid levels.

Don't drive it with soft/questionable brakes, 4200# needs to stop where you want it to.

And check your PM's.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.