Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm running the Performance friction pads on the stock rotors and every now and then I hear what sounds like a popping sound as I stop.

Any ideas?

------------------
1996 Impala SS
3.73 gears, S-10 TC, SLP exaust, TB bypass, air foil, sewer pipe intake w/ 1LE elbow, HPP3 w/o tuning, GMPP 1.6 RR's with Crane springs, Herb Adams front and rear, Hotchkis uppers and lowers, Eibach springs, ES body mounts, larger 5/8" ball joints, ES front control arm bushings, Russel braided brake lines, combi brake mod, PF brake pads

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
It's the pads sliding around (slightly) in the calipers. You (or whoever installed them) forgot to slightly bend the tabs to "lock" the pads in the caliper when the pads were installed OR the tabs have bent (they are pretty flimsy).

It doesn't affect braking ability at all. If the tabs are still intact, you might be able to bend them enough to make the noise go away. If not, just turn up the radio

Ed

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Guys, I have the same problem. I just found out today at my autoshop about the cause of the brakes popping or clicking. My man says it's common on chevy's, and asked if I wanted him to fix it. I told him that I had new g-force tires on order and when they came in he could put them on and do it if I had'nt done it already. On another note,I also had an alignment done on the ride. I printed out the alignment specs from the b-body site, but was scared to get the car set to those specs. I read another member knocked the specs because it was for a higher speed alignment (if that's possible). Then he went on to say that at lower speeds the alignment was for s**t.

------------------
Heavy

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The specs work great. The "big secret" on those specs is that they are the STOCK SPECS FROM THE FACTORY MANUAL......just held to a bit tighter tolerances (i.e. there is a LOT of slop in the factory alignment specs).

A lot of alignment shops bitch about them because they actually have to work a little bit to get within those tolerances (i.e. the shops are LAZY!).

I've been running those specs for many miles now, and am very happy with them on the street. Not enough negative camber for my AutoX, but that's another story

Ed

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well you've sold me. I also chipped in another 30 dollars for the lifetime alignment. So in the next 6 months i'll see if i can talk them into doing them.

------------------
Heavy

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.