Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have had cars with brakes that squeel after they got hot but on my caprice even when they are cold like first stop in the morning they start squeeling.
It happens right as I come to a stop not the whole time Im pressing the brake pedal and if I hit them harder it will stop squeeling
Any one have any ideas??????

·
Registered
201 Posts
Time to replace the pads.

·
Super Moderator
6,000 Posts
Time to replace the pads.
Incorrect. Brakes that squeal WITHOUT the brakes being applied are in need of pad replacement. Brakes that squeal only when braking are caused by pad harmonics where the pad moves around in the body of the caliper. The solution is to take off the caliper, remove the pads, apply anti-squeak compound to the back of the pads on the areas that contact the caliper (outboard) and where it contacts the piston (inboard). Let the compound set up, then reinstall.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I checked to see if the pads where low,I looked through the top of the caliper and I checked to see if the little tab was hitting the rotor and its not.I didnt remove the pads yet to see if there where any problems with them the rotors are new(installed with this set of pads)about 2yrs ago,10000 miles or so ago.
Thanks for the help

·
Registered
560 Posts
Make sure you look at the whole pad and not just the window. Could have taper wear on the pad and one side might just be shot while the other side looks great. If so time to replace them calipers.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Don't spend a dime till you take a good hard look at your brake rotors. I had my rotors turned and installed pads this summer because of "squeak issues." Stopped a little better, but still had squeak issues.

Pissed off, I did what I should have done to begin with. Put a strait edge on my rotors! Yep, warped. New rotors...problem solved.

·
Registered
2,981 Posts
I have had cars with brakes that squeel after they got hot but on my caprice even when they are cold like first stop in the morning they start squeeling.
It happens right as I come to a stop not the whole time Im pressing the brake pedal and if I hit them harder it will stop squeeling
Any one have any ideas??????
I am having the exact same experience, (REAR pads only) it was for a couple months and finally had time to get it looked at......

Incorrect. Brakes that squeal WITHOUT the brakes being applied are in need of pad replacement. Brakes that squeal only when braking are caused by pad harmonics where the pad moves around in the body of the caliper. The solution is to take off the caliper, remove the pads, apply anti-squeak compound to the back of the pads on the areas that contact the caliper (outboard) and where it contacts the piston (inboard). Let the compound set up, then reinstall.
This is PLAN B for me...

the story i got from the mech is my REAR pads are made from a company that uses a really hard "puck" supposedly the pad is compressed 10times more so the material lasts longer. Also they are advertised as no-squeak pads...So my mech said i could do plan B but time was same as trying new pads. Since they are "no-squeak" i can get the new pads FREE and pay for replacement.
This is what i am trying first, in about 1000 miles at next oil change, reason i mention this is mech also said it may be a "hard" spot in the pad and i may wear through it and the squeak may stop...?

I think when i get new pads installed i will make sure they inspect the rotor closely for warping.....as well as entire pad.

-ALF out...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts