Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
what is this brass block on the cooler line? can i delete it? what is the sensor that's plugged into it?

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
I dont know may be a trans temp

·
Premium Member
361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
someone suggested that it is a trans temp sensor or a pressure switch. i have an autometer trans temp guage that has the sensor elsewhere.

the trans is converted to vaccum modulated. if i delete this out would it mess with the ecu/trans? i just dont want it going into limp mode after i delete it

i think it is a trans temp sensor, it has one brown wire in a 2 pin connector. but alldata is saying there is already an internal trans temp sensor in the valve body

·
Registered
581 Posts
Its the transmission temperature sender. Just leave it be its used by the computer so deleting it may throw a check engine code. - Peter

·
Premium Member
5,753 Posts
It is convertor over temp switch, not related to the trans temp sensor
You can run without if you choose
L99 cars did not use them.
Leaving the plug disconnected is the same as normal operation as the switch only grounds at high temps.
When the switch grounds the convertor clutch applies early and 4th gear is inhibited.

So, your choice,

·
Premium Member
361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
AWESOME. thanks MeanSS that's exactly what i was looking for. looks like i will be deleting it out of the cooler lines.

Sherlock9c1 said:
At 327F this sensor grounds its input wire, telling the PCM that the transmission is hot. Disconnecting the sensor merely keeps the PCM from ever getting that signal.

·
Registered
2,685 Posts
That's WAY TOO HOT!

Wouldn't somewhere under 230°F be better?
Well yes, but that would make too much sense and GM doesnt do such things....

·
Premium Member
361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
so is it a line pressure switch or a temp sensor? lol

alldata says there is a temp sensor internally - in the valve body

·
Registered
12 Posts
WOW! I finally fixed my problem I've had for years with my SS. It would always lock O/D until 50 mph and I never could figure it out. This was the solution!! Thanks!

·
Registered
2,685 Posts
WOW! I finally fixed my problem I've had for years with my SS. It would always lock O/D until 50 mph and I never could figure it out. This was the solution!! Thanks!
How? This is only a high temp switch.....

·
Registered
12 Posts
The sensor is bad. It was always locking out 4th until 50mph on the dot. Didn't matter if the trans was hot or cold. Let off the Gas, it would go into 4th, apply gas, back to 3rd if under 50. I had replaced the sensor in the pan, along with the harness. Would shift perfect @ 50 and 1st thru 3 rd was normal. Manual 3rd would lock the converter.
unplugged the harness and worked perfectly again.

·
Registered
826 Posts
What have you guys used to replace the brass block when removing it?

I read that a few of you have removed the brass block, what did you use or what did you do to replace it to get the line to connect to the trans?

I have some really stubborn trans lines and I think the only way to get them off might be to just cut them and replace them when I put the other trans back in.

Ideas?

·
Registered
826 Posts
Nevermind, got the bastard off, but had to drop the trans out of the car first and fish the trans lines between the oil pan and the frame to get it out.

·
Premium Member
1,504 Posts
Has anyone tried replacing the line with the switch with one from a L99 car which does not have the switch? I have one of each sitting here and it looks like I could do that but the bends on the trans end on the L99 line seems to be a little bit different then the line with the switch? Anyone know if it would work and what I need to do to make the missing switch not throw a code?

·
Registered
163 Posts
Has anyone tried replacing the line with the switch with one from a L99 car which does not have the switch? I have one of each sitting here and it looks like I could do that but the bends on the trans end on the L99 line seems to be a little bit different then the line with the switch? Anyone know if it would work and what I need to do to make the missing switch not throw a code?
i did exactly that,used line off a car without the switch to replace the line with the switch that was leaking all over the place,fit like it was made for it (it was)clamps worked and everything,much better set up, tie the plug up where it's out of the way and your good to go

·
Registered
495 Posts
wow this may fix my problem. I was about to start a post but this may be it.

Ive noticed in the past few months my fleetwood doesnt shift into 4th until about 51-53mph. On a recent replacement of the FPR to try to fix my gas mileage woes I noticed afterwards it was shifting at 45mph which seems more normal. But now its back to 51mph just a couple weeks later. Late shifting doesnt help gas mileage either...

So just unplug this sensor and all will be ok?

·
Registered
495 Posts
wow this may fix my problem. I was about to start a post but this may be it.

Ive noticed in the past few months my fleetwood doesnt shift into 4th until about 51-53mph. On a recent replacement of the FPR to try to fix my gas mileage woes I noticed afterwards it was shifting at 45mph which seems more normal. But now its back to 51mph just a couple weeks later. Late shifting doesnt help gas mileage either...

So just unplug this sensor and all will be ok?
well seemed to have worked. Shifts earlier in almost every gear I kind of think. But definately 4th gear is way earlier.

The sensor looked like one of those coolant temp switches. So why doesnt anyone fix the sensor instead of just unplugging it? The parts stores dont show a temp sensor for the tranny though.

·
Premium Member
1,369 Posts
do I need thread sealant where the lines or sensor go into the brass block?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts