Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to know the best break in prevention for my 96 impala ss. I want to know everything. I want to know if the car it self is easy to steal because that's my worst night mare to find out my baby is gone. I realize that I should put my car in the garage to prevent any of this but it's to small for the car. Also best alarms for the car. I don't care to much for the push button start if it comes with it I don't care to much everything else is a plus.

·
Premium Member
2,090 Posts
Any alarm will possibly scare away a thief, but none can breaking into your car.

DEI (Viper) alarms with two way remotes are the industry standard.

You could also have a look at this:

I haven't put one in, but I'm considering it.

http://www.ravelco.com

I'm also considering a quick release steering wheel.

Nothing can stop a tow truck from stealing your car.

·
Registered
9,682 Posts
Does the car still have the factory PassKey/Vats system enabled? Years ago, this prevented my first 94 Roadmaster from being stolen from my old apt complex parking lot. Didn't prevent the busted window, steering column, and missing stereo, but at least the car was still there. Had the Passkey been disabled, they would have got it. The GM steering columns before passkey were quite easy to break into and get the car going if you knew what you're doing.

·
Premium Member
435 Posts
A missing steering wheel and a decent alarm system should be enough to deter any wanna-be thief. Using a fuel pump kill switch will prevent the car from going anywhere under it own power regardless of how they try to start it. If you have a removable wheel on top of that- I don't even think they'd try unless they're professionals and you've got tons of money into the car. The fuel pump cut off would just be the icing on the cake.

·
Registered
8,215 Posts
I've had my system 20 years and it's worked out ok. Ugly yellow $30 wheel bar lock, wheels cocked hard to piss off a flatbed, and park smart.

You really just want it to look like it'll take an extra 30 seconds to grab and attention soon drifts to another target.

Fuel pump switch would be a great idea to keep the slug from getting anywhere too quiet to strip/vandaklize too much.

·
Registered
7,988 Posts
FP Cutoff info

Scroll down to the Security Section and there is info on adding a FP Cutoff Switch and how to do it.

Impala SS Technical Archives

I followed the same principle but instead of a switch, ran the wires to the ODB1 Connector and just use a metal Shunt to activate the relay when I want to disable it. With out the jumper installed, there is no additional drain to the battery. Only when its engaged is there a slight drain for the coil of the relay.

http://www.impalassforum.com/vBulletin/4-interior/289009-fuel-pump-cutoff-switch.html

·
Premium Member
435 Posts
Scroll down to the Security Section and there is info on adding a FP Cutoff Switch and how to do it.

Impala SS Technical Archives

I followed the same principle but instead of a switch, ran the wires to the ODB1 Connector and just use a metal Shunt to activate the relay when I want to disable it. With out the jumper installed, there is no additional drain to the battery. Only when its engaged is there a slight drain for the coil of the relay.

http://www.impalassforum.com/vBulletin/4-interior/289009-fuel-pump-cutoff-switch.html

Yours was very professional. I liked it a lot.

·
Registered
7,988 Posts
Yours was very professional. I liked it a lot.
Thanks, it's been working well. I don't use it all the time, only at times where I want a little extra protection to the alarm. Sometimes I forget I enabled it and start the car, engine runs for a few seconds and then just bogs out....DOH!!

·
Premium Member
2,425 Posts
I'm going to go ahead and install a cutoff like you guys did. Never really thought about it, not much of an engineer. I do know though, I'm always terrified about having my car stolen. It's not the hardest thing to get in these doors, I did it after I locked my keys inside one day. And for mine, it probably wouldn't be too hard to start the manual....

1 - 9 of 9 Posts