Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 139 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys i was wondering where to start on my b-body i dont want much but i cant seem to find any in depth budget 13 sec recipes! I could even deal with very low 14's i am just sick of friends and family tellin me to get rid of it and get a REAL car! So what i am lookin for is big bang 4 the buck mods that the normal guy who is mostly broke can afford! Thanks!!

·
Registered
5,568 Posts
best bang for the buck = nitrous

2nd best = quality torque converter + good tune

But for you, I would say 3.73s and a good posi.

·
Premium Member
3,564 Posts
Over 10 years ago the SS held it's own but fastforward to 2009 and there are a ton 14 and 13 second stock cars out there.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
My budget is kind of hit and miss! the car only has like 150k! I know i dont need a stroker for my current goals and my budget dont call for that much, for any mod right now i cant really spend more than 4-500 per mod! but i know there have to be bolt on cars well in the 13's! i like the converter idea what can i expect out of an s-10 converter? is that big enuf or no?

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
a broke guy with a 4200 pound boat anchor can't get into 13's.
you're playing with fire. breaking into 13's for a heavy car like ours doesn't come cheap.

at 15.14 in the 1/4 you are far far away from breaking 13's.

cheapest (initial cost) is nitrous but bottle fill ups get expensive very very fast. anything else will run you more than your car is worth, S-10 converter won't do enough to even put a smile on your face.

you picked the wrong car to wanna go 13's in if you're broke, this car will burn your wallet. =)

·
Premium Member
2,422 Posts
It took me full bolt ons to run 13s. Best pass was [email protected] I have to agree w/ the others. You're looking at spending a nice little chunk of dough to do 13s. But you can shop used and install everything yourself, minus the gears I'd say. That will save you a bunch of money if you don't pay to have stuff installed. I ran a 14.3 on 410s, tune and intake I believe though. I did the gears when my posi went out. For a trutrac and 410s I think it cost me 1k. Maybe 1200...

And for the trouble I wouldn't go w/ a S10 converter. Used converters can be had cheap.

·
Premium Member
2,708 Posts
Do you want to run 13's with street tires or slicls/drag radials? It will cost a lot less to get 13's on sticky tires.

Tune, high stall (2800 or higher) torque convertor, 3.73's or higher, headers, catback, bigger throttle body, bigger MAF, good springs/roller rockers, and remove some weight.

·
Registered
2,234 Posts
my car easily and safely brakes from 13's or 12's. the stock brakes are more than adequate LOL

·
Registered
5,568 Posts
a broke guy with a 4200 pound boat anchor can't get into 13's.
you're playing with fire. breaking into 13's for a heavy car like ours doesn't come cheap.

at 15.14 in the 1/4 you are far far away from breaking 13's.

cheapest (initial cost) is nitrous but bottle fill ups get expensive very very fast. anything else will run you more than your car is worth, S-10 converter won't do enough to even put a smile on your face.

you picked the wrong car to wanna go 13's in if you're broke, this car will burn your wallet. =)
I have to disagree! You just have to be smart about what you buy and where you buy it from. Don't be afraid of used parts. No single part on my SS cost more than $600.

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
I have to disagree! You just have to be smart about what you buy and where you buy it from. Don't be afraid of used parts. No single part on my SS cost more than $600.
your disagreement does nothing but mislead him in thinking he can spend little money and break into 13's.

·
Premium Member
3,564 Posts
your disagreement does nothing but mislead him in thinking he can spend little money and break into 13's.
What's your defintion of "little" money? Cheston is right. If you are frugal; 13's are obtainable. I almost accomplished it with stock manifolds. Get the torque down to sticky tires and you're there.

Most of the fast bolt on cars have been retired. Trust me. I speak from experience.

Bolt on best [email protected]

·
Registered
7,886 Posts
Eric, on this forum experiance counts for NOTHING. Your opinion only matters if you spent a LOT of money and got little result for it.

Reality is CAI, gears, stall, tune, headers and catback should get you close if not there, give it a little more like a mild cam kit and some DOT slicks and it should be deep(mid to low) 13s full weight even with a 300lbs driver.

Friend's car is a old 9C1, Tri-Ys, Hooker catback, 3200 stall, stock TB and WP, RAISS, 87 octane tune, AI's version of the HOT cam, 3.73s and an all wrong 28" tire with a class 3 hitch and 300lbs drive and it will run 13.4 in the worst weather the midwest has to throw at it. I would like to see what it would do with a lighter driver, good weather and the right sized tire. I am sure those thigns would not hurt performance.

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
Eric, on this forum experiance counts for NOTHING. Your opinion only matters if you spent a LOT of money and got little result for it.

Reality is CAI, gears, stall, tune, headers and catback should get you close if not there, give it a little more like a mild cam kit and some DOT slicks and it should be deep(mid to low) 13s full weight even with a 300lbs driver.

Friend's car is a old 9C1, Tri-Ys, Hooker catback, 3200 stall, stock TB and WP, RAISS, 87 octane tune, AI's version of the HOT cam, 3.73s and an all wrong 28" tire with a class 3 hitch and 300lbs drive and it will run 13.4 in the worst weather the midwest has to throw at it. I would like to see what it would do with a lighter driver, good weather and the right sized tire. I am sure those thigns would not hurt performance.

you're not the only one with experience Dwayne, you just happen to be the loudest one with over 7000 posts.

i'd like to see a full weight peg leg caprice running 15.14 right now break into 13's with only (your words of wisdom):

CAI, gears, stall, tune, headers and catback

I really would like to see that. and don't point me to that "one" car somewhere you saw once run it, that's not normal, neither is your 11 second run.

·
Registered
7,886 Posts
That is why you guys fail so miserably in modding your cars. Anything done well is automatically freak.

Look at the ET page, a LOT of stock cam cars in the 13s.
http://www.top-et.com/impalass/index.asp?SelectedClass=6&Sort=

Far as my car, look what Pat Gish did with a similar setup, he has gone .2 faster despite a .05 worse 60ft. IMO once he launches that thing well it will be 11.1 or better.

·
Premium Member
2,422 Posts
i'd like to see a full weight peg leg caprice running 15.14 right now break into 13's with only (your words of wisdom):

CAI, gears, stall, tune, headers and catback

So just to clarify, are you saying this is not possible? Because I surely hope not... And Dwayne is right. There are a lot of sheerly bad combos out there. Guys throw money to a builder that doesn't really know and they def don't care. There are things to be done to these cars that don't require a ton of money and they will fly.

OP, if you honestly want to go fast, talk to a few of the guys in this topic. Talk to Mike Harris, Pat Gish, Stumpy, wait now Glen is Ratssled. I'd say nabil but he'll have you hacking your car apart lol.

Like I said, you can get the car into the 13s fairly easy, somewhat cheap if you do the work yourself. Of course depending on DA and location... I ran fairly consistent 13s w/ crap bolt ons. Worst I'd run is 14.3s in the middle of summer. That was on shorty headers(which honestly don't make a ton of power difference), SLP converter and a crap tune. Not crap, but it was just a canned tune. I also ran stickies which helps a lot, but hooked up just fine on DR's...

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
So just to clarify, are you saying this is not possible?
yes that's exactly what i'm saying, it is NOT POSSIBLE.

but if you wanna keep changing the game to make it fit your argument then go ahead.

you're now adding to the combo above:

a posi (OP does not have)
DR or slicks (OP does not have)

read what i wrote, a "peg leg full weight" CAN NOT, WILL NOT EVER break into 13's with the mods mentioned above.

guy comes in here with a 150k mile 9C1 saying he's broke and let's see the walmart cheap shopping cart you guys are putting together for him to "easily" get into 13's:

Gears
Posi
TC
Slicks/DR
CAI
cat back
Tune
Headers

i mean small stuff and cheap right? say $100 should cover all that and labor (because by the tone of his post he'll have to have someone install all these too) right?

cheap cheap cheap, you'll be dipping into 12's with $10 more.:D grab another shopping cart we're open until 11.

lol, I love the passion with which you argue your point, but god damn, be realistic about HIM AND HIS CAR. =)

·
Premium Member
3,774 Posts
OP: First of all, I suggest ignoring the discouraging replies. They obviously got it wrong when (if?) they even attempted to do what you're asking. So......you're best off ignoring that kind of "experience". Whenever seeking advice for any endeavor in life, listen to those that have been successful at what you're trying to do.
Question for you: Do you really want to run high 13's at the strip and collect timeslips?....or, do you want a car that feels as good as or better on the street than a 13 sec strip car? A torque converter before gears is the obvious answer if you want the timeslips. 3.73's, or even 4.10's if you're running tall tires, give a better feel on the street than a converter does. And just as quick on the street too, since with a good tune you will roast them from a start with either of those gears and the stock converter.
My car went 14.0's and 14.1's at a sea level track in FL with stock gears, stock TC, stock tires, Hypertech program, shorty headers, 1.6 rockers, and lowered fuel pressure (to force leaner WOT than the HPP program called for). The only weight reduction was jack and spare tire removed, whick was partially offset by the Class II hitch on the car.
Pick any ONE of the following: Drag radials, a good tune, or a TC; IN PLACE OF the not-so-cost-effective 1.6 rockers, would have easily gotten me some 13 sec slips. The headers also didn't do me much good at that time, but they were on there because they were an easy bolt-on that I wanted to do in support of future mods.

Get a good tune; watch for a used 9.5" 2800-3000 stall TC (assuming you DO want that 13 sec slip!) a Street Edge is more than enough for your goals and is going to be more affordable than a Vig or Yank...but you might luck into one of those also; watch for used gears; and run some sticky tires at the strip. It's up to you if you want to do some judicious lightening of your car.....that's where the FREE ET is! I've done quite a bit to mine since those early days and have not given up a single creature comfort.

Go for it! Be patient, watch for the deals, and good luck!

1 - 20 of 139 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.