Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
892 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I tried to bleed the front brakes and the screw that gets lose froze and its head broke off, despite PB-Blaster sprayed on it.

How do I get these screws out?

Would it make sense to replace the calipers while I am at it? They are original and have 120K miles on them.

I don't know how to get the screw out, by the time I pay someone it will probably cost about the same and I still have old calipers.

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
I tried to bleed the front brakes and the screw that gets lose froze and its head broke off, despite PB-Blaster sprayed on it.

How do I get these screws out?

Would it make sense to replace the calipers while I am at it? They are original and have 120K miles on them.

I don't know how to get the screw out, by the time I pay someone it will probably cost about the same and I still have old calipers.
PM me where you are. I'm in MD too. There are several options available to you if you're up to replacing the caliper(s). Actually, you could go for anything from a simple extraction and replacement to a big brake kit depending on your time, needs and wallet.

·
Registered
892 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Sending PM...

These calipers are 15 years old, I wonder if they are close to failure, so maybe it makes sense to replace them now. I don't know.
Does it make a difference if you go with GM or rebuilt ones from Advance Auto?

I have no experience extracting broken screws/bolts so fear it might turn into a time consuming project. Both of them froze in and broke the heads off, so I wonder what condition the rest of the caliper is in.

·
Registered
478 Posts
Don't waste your time trying to extract. I broke bleeder screws twice...each time I soaked them for two days in PB blaster then proceeded to break the EZOut off inside the bleeder screw.

Standard brake calipers are cheap, something like $10 after the turn in...for remanufactured parts. I've never had a problem with the Cardone parts from Advanced or Auto Zone. They're OEM parts, just refurbed with the seals replaced and all.

This is also a good excuse to throw some Earl's stainless flex hoses on there!

Good luck!

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
Good point.
What are these and why should I upgrade to them?

"Earl's stainless flex hoses"
They're an upgrade to the stock rubber soft lines. The stainless and kevlar braiding aids in keeping them from bulging. In this respect, they're a preventative maintenance modification. They don't actually make your brakes any better or worse (over a new stock item that is. Of course they'll improve braking if your original rubbers are shot). They'll just (should) outlast the stock rubber units. When replacing calipers, it's best to do this at that time out of sheer convenience because you'll be removing one end of the hose anyway.

·
Registered
892 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Standard brake calipers are cheap, something like $10 after the turn in...for remanufactured parts. I've never had a problem with the Cardone parts from Advanced or Auto Zone. They're OEM parts, just refurbed with the seals replaced and all.

This is also a good excuse to throw some Earl's stainless flex hoses on there!

Good luck!
What's the best one to get on rockauto? They have a large number of choices.

Or does it make sense to get it from Advance Auto Parts or such?

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
What's the best one to get on rockauto? They have a large number of choices.

Or does it make sense to get it from Advance Auto Parts or such?
It's largely discretionary as different people have different views on the importance of purchasing a proven commodity vs. a budget alternative and price plays a factor for many as well. W/ regard to calipers, I'm having trouble thinking of any catastrophic brake failures I've read about due to low quality parts. There's a substantive amount of liability associated w/ rebuilding these units. You can feel relatively secure that whatever your decision, the units will be sound.

I purchased verything from Rockauto to reduce shipping costs and to take advantage of the discount they readily make available, but I was purchasing (and being selective about it) rotors also. If it's just calipers, autozone, O'Reilly's or advance are local, hence no shipping and just fine.

The braided lines are no more expensive than rubber OEM replacements, so...why not?

Don't use DOT 5 (silicone) brake fluid. DOT 3/4 is what you'll need.

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
Understood. I don't have Autozone close to me, but have Advance Auto.

Where do you get the braided lines?
Can't speak to advance and Pep Boys, but:
http://www.autozone.com/autozone/pa...kouh?counter=0&itemIdentifier=779911_517577_0_

They're located toward Leisure World in Silver Spring. From Rockville, use Viers Mill Rd to Aspen Hill Rd & Aspen Hill to GA ave. It's right there on the corner. Not far distance wise, but w/ the DC traffic bottlenecks, I'm not going to say it's close time wise. cwm4
Why I enjoy having moved out to "the country".

·
Registered
478 Posts
I got my stainless flex lines from Summit...but I can't seem to find them now.

It was a set of 5 lines, two for the front, the centerline, and two rears (for B-Bodies with rear disc brakes)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts