Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Car: 1995 Caprice Classic. I was swapping out the thermostat on my pump (Gates). When I went to reattach the gooseneck housing the bolts had become stuck about half way down. Never had this issue. Suddenly one bolt broke. I cannot get it out. Broke numerous drill bits included a higher end one. Further problem is I ordered what I thought was the right size replacement bolt (GM 22539278) but it's slightly too big. Does anyone know the correct bolt size and or model no? And is the threading issue heat related? Poor machining? Something else? Been stuck for over a week now.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Been a while since I worked on my car but isn't the gooseneck on the water pump? Might be easier just to buy a new rebuilt water pump.

Otherwise I have found only cobolt drill bits will work. anything else will just dull up and not do anything. I am sure you know to start with a very small drill bit, use cutting oil, and very little pressure. Let the bit do the work.

I just had to do this on my truck getting the seat mount bolt out. Anything short of cobolt bits are a waste of time. There may be even better bits but I am not aware of them.

Rodney

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Rodney, I tried all kinds of bits. Nothing is getting though. They all just spin or snap. A pump with the pre-installed gooseneck and thermostat is available at a higher price and that may be what I have to do but I was trying to work with what I have. Just replaced this pump in November. Not really looking forward to doing it again. Definitely won't be going with Gates pumps anymore. The previous one lasted about 3 years.

·
Premium Member
2,539 Posts
Car: 1995 Caprice Classic. I was swapping out the thermostat on my pump (Gates). When I went to reattach the gooseneck housing the bolts had become stuck about half way down. Never had this issue. Suddenly one bolt broke. I cannot get it out. Broke numerous drill bits included a higher end one. Further problem is I ordered what I thought was the right size replacement bolt (GM 22539278) but it's slightly too big. Does anyone know the correct bolt size and or model no? And is the threading issue heat related? Poor machining? Something else? Been stuck for over a week now.
Hmm....I found this on the LT1 site & Z28/Camaro: M6 x 1 x 25, GM part 22539278.

That information sounds correct to me, but to make 100% sure, until someone else here will verify, I sent my parts guy at the dealership an email, along with my VIN, so we can have the correct information.

When I run into a screw or bolt that starts getting difficult to remove, I'll apply some WD-40, and reverse and start threading the screw back in. I'll repeat the process a few times with plenty of WD (or similar) fluid to help.

I'd try this move and be careful to not break the 2nd bolt. I'd use 1/4" drive so you don't apply too much force.

I'll update the thread when I get a reply.

If you need replacements you can go to: eVilBay

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hmm....I found this on the LT1 site & Z28/Camaro: M6 x 1 x 25, GM part 22539278.

That information sounds correct to me, but to make 100% sure, until someone else here will verify, I sent my parts guy at the dealership an email, along with my VIN, so we can have the correct information.

When I run into a screw or bolt that starts getting difficult to remove, I'll apply some WD-40, and reverse and start threading the screw back in. I'll repeat the process a few times with plenty of WD (or similar) fluid to help.

I'd try this move and be careful to not break the 2nd bolt. I'd use 1/4" drive so you don't apply too much force.

I'll update the thread when I get a reply.

If you need replacements you can go to: eVilBay

That's the bolt I purchased but it's not the same. A little too big. I got the second bolt out. Just stuck with the broken one. Thank you.

·
Premium Member
2,539 Posts
That's the bolt I purchased but it's not the same. A little too big. I got the second bolt out. Just stuck with the broken one. Thank you.
Okay I got the email from my buddy: 22539278 08.900 BOLT, HFH,M6X1X25,HDR PT,10.9,PS (W/PMP INL) (Service Lane Part) 1996 - 1996 02

·
Registered
8,481 Posts
either cut the longer bolt down or go buy one the same thread but shorter

unless you can "extract" the broken bolt you will need to drill it out and re-tap/thread the WP housing....and then get a new bolt whatever size/thread this new re-tap is

Maybe the Gates WP uses a different size bolt than the OEM AC Delco WP

The less painful fix may be just buy a new WP

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The less painful fix may be just buy a new WP

Looks like that's what I'm going to have to do. I'm getting nowhere. This has already taken up so much time and money in bolts, drill bits, etc... I don't think the Gates pump can handle the heat of the car (especially here in TX. Will go with the AC Delco model this time. Just so maddening that a little thing turned into all this.

·
Registered
8,481 Posts
Confirm the new WP does come with a new gooseneck....most don't

rockauto has it for $179..

https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=73142&cc=1037472&jsn=453

Not sure if off brand ones come with the gooseneck but on RA site the higher $ AC Delco is the only one "pictured" with the gooseneck.

Been about 20 years since I went EWP so still using my original AC Delco housing & goseneck

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Confirm the new WP does come with a new gooseneck....most don't

rockauto has it for $179..

https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=73142&cc=1037472&jsn=453

Not sure if off brand ones come with the gooseneck but on RA site the higher $ AC Delco is the only one "pictured" with the gooseneck.

Been about 20 years since I went EWP so still using my original AC Delco housing & goseneck

Thanks. I already have that page pulled up. I purchased the Gates one I have now from Rock Auto. Was hoping I could put the warranty towards an upgrade but they will only swap it out for the same. I'm done with this pump. It's my second one. Pretty sure that AC Delco model is the only one to come with a gooseneck.

·
Registered
8,481 Posts
Sadly AC Delco is not what it used to be. I never had good ones back when the car was new as they all started to weep quickly which is why I switched to EWP when my car turned 3 yr/36k mi end of new car warranty....the dealership replaced 8 WP & Opti under warranty in 3 years. My Meziere has been on for about 20 years now and same Opti but with a MSD C&R now. YMMV

I see the Gates, and others are cheaper, even the AC Delco that is without the gooseneck

Given you already have a Gooseneck...just get the correct bolts and use one of those

If RA is only going to warranty the Gates, than go with that, re-use your gooseneck and buy the right size bolt for whatever thread that housing takes. A trip to the nut & bolt section at hardware store should be only $2 for bolts if that

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Update: So, I went to Home Depot and bought a pack of M6 1.0 x 25mm flange bolts which is what I thought the GM #22539278 bolts I bought were. The bolts I bought at Home Depot fit but the GM ones don't. I'm wondering if I got a batch of incorrect GM bolts or if the sizing info for them is incorrect. Are there any issues in using a zinc plated bolt for this application?

I also picked up another extractor and bit but nothing is getting through. Time for a new pump even though this one is barely 5 months old.

·
Premium Member
1,584 Posts
I have to wonder about this. Did the bolt break off flush or is it protruding some? If it's protruding maybe you can get a pipe wrench on it. If it's flush, what seems to be happening with the drill? Is it wondering while you're drilling?
I'm not trying to imply ignorance here but did you strike a punch mark before starting drilling. I had an intake bolt break on my head. I put a 3/8 inch nut on it, punched it, drilled it then welded the nut. It just turned out then.
There is almost always a solution to something like this and save some "DOH".

Mark: Snowman-33

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I have to wonder about this. Did the bolt break off flush or is it protruding some? If it's protruding maybe you can get a pipe wrench on it. If it's flush, what seems to be happening with the drill? Is it wondering while you're drilling?
I'm not trying to imply ignorance here but did you strike a punch mark before starting drilling. I had an intake bolt break on my head. I put a 3/8 inch nut on it, punched it, drilled it then welded the nut. It just turned out then.
There is almost always a solution to something like this and save some "DOH".

Mark: Snowman-33

Tried all that. Not enough to grab on to with a wrench. After the initial cut the bits are just spinning. That's a hard bolt. Can't get in enough for the extractor. This has taken up so much time and bits. I just ordered a new pump.

·
Banned
3,437 Posts
bolts you removed then when you installed the T stat the bolts only went in half way ?

if that is true/correct then you cross threaded the aluminum threads which is why not coming out .....unless you put a torch on it and heat it up to back it out...:wink2: using a cobalt bit to drill the hole in the bolt and use an extractor .

I have seen some pumps with bore holes to shallow but you put in the same bolts into the same pump.. so you did mess this up...

·
Banned
3,437 Posts
the bolts are M6 X 1.0 and 1 inch long .. this bolt is the same as the cover bolts only the cover bolts are 9/16 in long.

when you install steel bolts into Aluminum you put thread sealer on the bolt threads .. what this does is seals the threads so NO reaction is created , because no air... air has water in it so the metal will eat at each other and then damage..

when you tap or drill into aluminum you use soapy water ..

I do have a back up new water pump goose neck and the bolts.. checked this out so it may help ...

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
bolts you removed then when you installed the T stat the bolts only went in half way ?

if that is true/correct then you cross threaded the aluminum threads which is why not coming out .....unless you put a torch on it and heat it up to back it out...:wink2: using a cobalt bit to drill the hole in the bolt and use an extractor .

I have seen some pumps with bore holes to shallow but you put in the same bolts into the same pump.. so you did mess this up...

Don't know how I would have cross threaded them but it's possible. I was just doing it by hand. Could it be weak threading on the pump?

1 - 20 of 32 Posts