Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,542 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys,
I have something broken with the parking brake release handle area. The entire handle and shaft are floating, and no longer connected to the other black plastic dash material.

It's not the handle, and I can't tell easily as to what is broken, and what it will take to repair, but here are two pictures I took this morning.

If you can see what's going on, and/or know, please feel free to LMK what you know.

Is that entire black plastic area replacable? I ask because I have access to a '95 9C1 that is pretty well stripped. Unfortunately I didn't realize this until I had removed the lower dash to deal with another (dash/interior lights) problem yesterday.

Thanks!

·
Registered
11,219 Posts
Does the handle release the brake? If you need the handle and cable, I have a couple for sale. It is really difficult to remove the plastic piece from the dash. You must squeeze the sides behind the support to get it out. I have never been able to squeeze them enough. The plastic part is trapped on the cable. It should be a straight shot to the release mechanism for the E-brake

·
Premium Member
2,542 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Does the handle release the brake?
Yes, it's just that the handle/cable is now flopping around though.

If you need the handle and cable, I have a couple for sale. It is really difficult to remove the plastic piece from the dash. You must squeeze the sides behind the support to get it out. I have never been able to squeeze them enough. The plastic part is trapped on the cable. It should be a straight shot to the release mechanism for the E-brake
Okay, let me start to dig through the service manual and take a look. I had a real busy Sunday, so I didn't have a chance to get everything done I had hoped to.

·
Premium Member
1,648 Posts
This is a bit different than mine but I think I understand what you have. The cable goes through the dash and there are maybe 4 "fingers" that expand to hold it in place. Correct? If that is the case, why not just slide a socket up the cable and squeeze the fingers? If that does not do it then take a pipe nipple and put a slot lengthwise in it to clear the cable and then do the above. It should compress all the "fingers" and allow you to pull the cable through.

Mark: Snowman-33

·
Premium Member
177 Posts
Looks like the piece that is on the release handle that holds to the support is missing. It has 2 tabs on the left and right that hold it on. That blue part that connects to the e brake shouldn’t be that high up also. I’m going to try to upload a pic

·
Premium Member
2,542 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Looks like the piece that is on the release handle that holds to the support is missing. It has 2 tabs on the left and right that hold it on. That blue part that connects to the e brake shouldn’t be that high up also. I’m going to try to upload a pic
I was able to get the cabin cable portion after wrestling with it for a little while, overall not too terrible, just the elements of ~100' today, and in the sun none the less made it a challenge.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts