Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,535 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well from the look of it so far in my invstigation, it appears as thouh I've to remove the entire tensioner assemly to replace the one mounting bolt (I have the tensioner bearing bolt into those Aluminum Threads Loc-Tited (As I've had It loosen & threads wear out in the past upon repeated preventative mainteaince. (Remember I've had both my 9C1 & this car for a total of 354,000 miles/ That'sa heack of a lot asking for AL threads to hold up under those repeated torquings, so I installed a Heli-Coil and then used Loc-Tite ob the bolt threads themselved to ensure against this in particular..

I just recently got the last metal pulley assembly thru Rock Auto, so I decided to install a new belt while I was at it.. Now I can go another couple of hundred thousand miles If I do decide to keep it.

The wire tie is on there now, just to get her done and out of the garage tonight. I'll fix things all good in the morning, wuth the proper tools an what not.\\

BUT Does anyone knw off hand if thst's man #8-32 bolt, flange head X- Length? I've got to go first diffing thru my own collection before I mscouring thru othrr. You know the laws of hand-me-downs!!

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
The threads were stripped on mine as well. I used bolt and nut combination instead of the bolt (drilled a hole through the bracket).

·
Premium Member
2,535 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well this has turned into a $HIT-SHOW to say the least. I can see if I can get pictures posted here at work around lunch time, but that entire bracket above that area is broken.
I removed all the accessories; Alternator, Power Steering Pump, A/C Compressor, and then the bracket.
I have no idea how the bracket could have cracked, but looking at the bracket further up, in the power steering pump cavity area, that has a hairline crack going all the way thru it as well.

This has really ticked me off, especially having done the P/S puimp just a few weeks before that.

Now the labor involved with drilling out that broken bolt, and then finding and getting a replacement bracket. This car is really getting on my nerves recently, and I swear if I didn't have so much dang money invested......

Pics to come later.

·
Registered
7,866 Posts
..... (Remember I've had both my 9C1 & this car for a total of 354,000 miles/ That'sa heack of a lot asking for AL threads to hold up under those repeated torquings, ....!

Maybe time to remember that yourself? Ssssooo, destroyed your car with excess maintenance. I'd look at the bright side and do a spreadsheet showing how many $Tens of $K's you've saved over all those years of no car payments. And no perpetual depreciation.

Take a deep breath and pull the whole front off a JY motor half yours miles. And BTW we've all seen pics of broke and fixt $#TI. But seeing all the other stuff you'll grab at the JY would be interesting ;)

·
Premium Member
2,535 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Maybe time to remember that yourself? Ssssooo, destroyed your car with excess maintenance. I'd look at the bright side and do a spreadsheet showing how many $Tens of $K's you've saved over all those years of no car payments. And no perpetual depreciation.
Well I wrote too soon at that initial time of the post, as this particular bolt is just used for mounting the "Generator and Power Steering Pump Bracket". So the bolt should have have been removed.

It's really hard as to what happend in the course of events with the broken bracket, and then the shearing off of the hold-down bolt; which is my guess at the order of events. The twisting of the lower broken bracket with the engagement and disengagement of the A/C compressor stressed that hold down bolt, and it eventually gave out and sheared off. The shearing off led to the bolt head sliding and hitting the tensioner idler pulley which was the noise that led me to the whole area.

Take a deep breath and pull the whole front off a JY motor half yours miles. And BTW we've all seen pics of broke and fixt $#TI. But seeing all the other stuff you'll grab at the JY would be interesting ;)
I've got a lead on one, but what's even more frustrating is that I HAVE ONE somewhere, but can't be found. I spent about 2 hours in the 100 heat searching thru the sauna/storage unit outside and found everything but....

The threads were stripped on mine as well. I used bolt and nut combination instead of the bolt (drilled a hole through the bracket).
Yeah I'm thinking you are speaking of the tensioner bolts, and those are not what I'm having trouble with.

I'm refering to the Bolt #34 shown below, from the illustration in the FSM. I'll measure the thickness of that flange, and then the hole depth, and do some math for the replacement.

It just sucks having to do things which seems like every weekend, and I'd like to just turn the key and drive for a while, as I'm done with any mods. I've done everything I wan't to for now, and the only other item, is the freshening up of the extra engine I have with new gaskets and camshaft.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts