Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
15,727 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got new tires today, and while I was there, they broke one of the wheel studs (not their fault - they used a torque wrench, torqued to proper specs, **** just happpens). So, a few questions:
  • How urgently do I need to fix this? There are six to a wheel. I will be fixing it, but might, for example, want to drive down to SSH10 before I have time.
  • Should I be worried enough that one broke, that I replace them all?
  • Is there a better/easier way to replace these than to pound the old one out and pull the new one in with the right size nut?
Thanks.

·
Ultimate Impala Guru!
5,481 Posts
I got new tires today, and while I was there, they broke one of the wheel studs (not their fault - they used a torque wrench, torqued to proper specs, **** just happpens). So, a few questions:
  • How urgently do I need to fix this? There are six to a wheel. I will be fixing it, but might, for example, want to drive down to SSH10 before I have time.
  • Is there a better/easier way to replace these than to pound the old one out and pull the new one in with the right size nut?
Thanks.
Not "OMG CAN'T MOVE THE VEHICLE" urgent, but I'd fix it before doing a road trip OR doing any hard cornering of any kind in the vehicle (i.e. take it REALLY easy until you fix it).

I'd look at the others, but chances are they are fine unless the wheels have been insanely over-torqued (which is surprisingly and unfortunately common at wheel servicing places).

That's about the best method to fix it. How easy or difficult it is to replace a stud is ENTIRELY dependent on the vehicle (and end of the vehicle no-less).

·
Registered
834 Posts
In reality get it fixed as Ed mentioned. However on my Impala I have one stud broken off for he last 2 years cuz I havent really bothered to fix it. I have driven to the Sierras hundreds of times to our Cabin in Kingvale and just recently drove up and back from Tahoe. So to be a good car owner get it fixed :).

Edit: Sorry I meant one stud stripped with no lug nut!

·
Premium Member
15,727 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys. I'll take a look at the service manual and see what it says about removing/replacing these. I would really like to figure a way to do it without pulling the calipers and rotors.

·
Registered
3,505 Posts
How do you know they torqued it properly? Hopefully, you were watching. If this is just based on their say so, I would have them replacing the stud.

·
Premium Member
15,727 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
How do you know they torqued it properly? Hopefully, you were watching. If this is just based on their say so, I would have them replacing the stud.
Good for you.

·
Super Moderator
6,000 Posts
Perhaps the stud was lubed when they were torquing it. This is a sure way to over torque a fastener that is supposed to be torqued dry.

·
Registered
6,949 Posts
Front or rear? I haven't messed with the rear much but swapped my front hubs and I don't think there's any way to get the studs out. I bought some cheap ebay hubs for about $40 cause the expensive factory ones still don't last long so I figured **** it.

·
Premium Member
15,727 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Perhaps the stud was lubed when they were torquing it. This is a sure way to over torque a fastener that is supposed to be torqued dry.
I didn't see any signs that it was lubed when they showed it to me. I don't think this one is their fault, really, much as I'd like to blame them.

Front or rear? I haven't messed with the rear much but swapped my front hubs and I don't think there's any way to get the studs out. I bought some cheap ebay hubs for about $40 cause the expensive factory ones still don't last long so I figured **** it.
Rear. FSM says to pull the rotor, but doesn't say you need to pull the hub for either front or rear. I think the only reason it says to pull the rotor is so that you can use the factory tool to press the old stud out. The FSM says not to bang the old stud out with a hammer, but most of the how to stuff I've been reading shows that as the way to do it. I can't really see why it would be a problem to wack the old one out.

·
Registered
865 Posts
Thanks.
You also can use a air hammer, with the right bit to remove and install the studs.The caliper and rotor has to come off.

·
Premium Member
15,727 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks. That would mean buying a compressor and an air hammer, though. I'm not opposed, but probably not going to do that now. I will definitely file it away as another reason I need those things, though.

·
Premium Member
15,727 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks. Will do.

·
Registered
45 Posts
you can easily whack out the stud with a hammer, but installing it is no fun without air tools. i work in a shop every day and occasionaly studs go bad over time but 90% of the time its either way stretched (overtorqued) or cross threaded and hammered down with impact. unless you are friends with the shop i see no reason why they wouldnt pay. ive had studs break on a car thats never been in our shop before and we had to pay.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts