Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
More bench racing,

Billet crank, cost not an issue, would you use a Crower or a Bryant.
Forging not available for application.
Reasons ?
Thanks

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
Bryant!!! I have two of them, ones a spare, and they have all kinds of reasons why they are the best beside the fact anything making top power for what it is, like a SB, BB or Hemi, all use that crank. They are so hard nothing penetrates them so bearing material or dirt that would scratch other cranks do nothing to a Bryant. It has counter weights on the center main for strength that most other cranks do not have. They are knife edged on all counters and gun drilled on the rods and mains. It's a light weight crank but stronger than a crank that weighs more. You get what you pay for in this case.

They are a real piece of work but unless you're going to make huge numbers it's really not needed. You could buy a Lunati Pro crank and save 600 dollars and still have a crank that can take over 1000HP. I had to have one and thats the only reason I shelled the money out for it. It's over kill unless you want to push things to the edge.

·
Premium Member
5,754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the comments, Arrow is another consideration

Like I said there are no forgings available for what I am doing.

I have bought Crowers (so long ago , non twisted 4340 was voodoo) and was happy.
One of the engines I have here has a Bryant Forging but the blanks are not available.
Not sure if "the hardest thing in the universe" is a big selling point to me :)

I have spoken to both and either will do pretty much anything in prep or lightening, counterweights I request. Same price, same time frame.

My requirements are a little different that most.
I understand XXX horsepower is a simple comparison, but not really the most relevant is it?

The cranks I am looking at are only three throws and yes one engine already makes 1000 hp in qualifying trim. The other probably will only make 600ish but has to deal with uneven firing impulses and vibration.

Anyway, thanks. Although I have both a Byrant and a Crower in engines, both are forgings and the new stuff has to be billet which I have never even touched in person.

Gerry

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
Don't forget if you want big power you are most likely running a blower or turbos and that means your engine is making more HP than the numbers at the flywheel. I know 1500HP at the flywheel in my motor is just over 1700HP by fuel load so the crank has to take the engine HP, not just the flywheel HP.

I know you normal don't want parts that are too hard as you need things to flex. I bent a Pro crank on the center main and the Bryant has been fine so you can also have too soft. It all depends on how much HP you want/need to make what the right answer is.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts