Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been collecting stuff for a while and am just about ready to install. Really basic from an audio perspective and I have no interest in anything fancy. In fact, the only reason for adding the amp is because I am installing a computer. There are speakers already mounted in the original locations (Infinity, I believe) and I will just reuse them. It currently just has a plain old Pioneer head unit, which I am still pondering what I am going to do with.

The mechanics of figuring out what wires to run and where is not a big problem, but I don't really feel like going to the store and dropping hundreds and hundreds on overpriced wires when there exists a more practical alternative. I understand DVI/HDMI and have never spent more than $9 for a cable. I don't understand all the audio options (StreetWires, Monster, etc) and suspect most of the big cost is just hype for a system like mine. I basically need power cables, speaker cable, terminals and a fuse. Battery is in the trunk :D

Given all that, where do I start shopping? Cruchfield? cwm4

Just because I love posting pictures, here is the amp:

·
Registered
101 Posts
http://myworld.ebay.com/coppercableman/
this guy is the absolute best for power wire.
I have used him 6 or seven times and itsalways a pleasure. Damn good prices good product, and he will get custom made jacketing colors and printing no extra charge.

speaker cable is also a good ebay item, ou can find tons for less than 25 bucks.

RCAs are kind of pricey, and the cheapest option is too make your own. I did it and am thrilled with the results. I have 8 channels of 25 ft high quality shielded rcas and spent less than $60 on parts

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys, this is exactly what I was looking for:
I like the looks of that store. Everything I need and a lot cheaper than Crutchfield/Best Buy/Radio Shack/etc.

That looks like a good source for bulk stuff if I were doing a more involved install. Since I need like 10 feet total, positive and ground combined, I am seriously looking at the one Mean SS mentioned.

RCAs are kind of pricey, and the cheapest option is too make your own. I did it and am thrilled with the results. I have 8 channels of 25 ft high quality shielded rcas and spent less than $60 on parts
Since this system is going to be optical S/PDIF from the PC (hence the really obscure and hard to find amp pictured above), I hadn't really planned to run any coax. As I think about it though, it is probably prudent to throw 4 raw cables at the very least so I don't have to pull the carpet to try something that has line-level outputs. Are the RCA ends easy to assemble in the car? I have the lots of experience with Digicon compression fittings on quad-shield coax.

·
Registered
101 Posts
I did solder on my rcas, but Ive read a lot of people having an easy time with the compression ones. Itd be easier in a shop on a bench, but it would be doable in a car with the compression style ones

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I had absolutely no intentions on joining another forum, but that one you posted is just way too useful to pass up. Thanks for sending me on another quest of learning about a topic that has no practical purpose in my life :D

·
Premium Member
3,917 Posts
I go here for a lot.

http://knukonceptz.com/

They actually have been pretty knowledgeable and they cut some sweet deals.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.