Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

building a 12second 96 caprice ss

6K views 17 replies 13 participants last post by  Handyman 
#1 ·
ok i got a 96 ss of my uncle, needs new headlights and a few other things, it's working fine right now so im happy,

what will it take to get sub 12 on 1/4 mile ? without nitrous.

#3 ·
ok i got a 96 ss of my uncle, needs new headlights and a few other things, it's working fine right now so im happy,

what will it take to get sub 12 on 1/4 mile ? without nitrous.
about $5-7k and a lot of patience. it will require complete top end and a huge cam to do it on a stock 350 block. it will take top end and decent size cam to do it on a 383. the 383 will be easier to drive on the street than a cammed out 350. if you have patience and do a lot of shopping for deals and stuff on this forum and other forums and on ebay, you can get it done for a lot less than what i quoted you. i have been building mines for over 2 years little by little and when i finally get it back together this week, i am expecting a mid to low 12 pass on drag radials.

#4 ·
stock block is fine. heads, cam, intake/tbody, fuel, converter, 4.10's, slicks/radials. Plenty of deals on here all the time....if you do it right its not as hard as you think. Upgrade stuff as you go, suspension, taking off some stuff and you'll make it. but like said above....do it right the first time and you will be spending some money but should be happier...

#5 ·
thanks

well i have about 4k saved up was planing to buy a car when my uncle gave me his 96 caprice ss because he just got an 08 caprice ltz,

i'm getting
Suncoast Ram Air Hood + intake about 1k
rear end 4.11 Ratio 230$ i also found 4.30 4.56 4.88 and 5.13
TA Performance's rear-end covers 150$

Meziere Heavy Duty Electric Water Pump, LT1, Black Annodized 220$
Vigilante 9.5" 3-Disc Torque Converter 2800 or 3200 stall ? 1k
Impala SS Carbon Fiber Driveshaft 1k (later)
TransGO Reprogramming Kit 250$

B&M Supercooler Transmission Cooler 80$
Holley 58mm Throttle Body 400$
QTP Dual Universal Electric Cutouts 500$ i'm using these because cops don't like loud exhausts here, so i'm keeping the stock exhaust system and using the cutouts right after the headers

would you recommend i get the LT4 Conversion Kit ?
what cam numbers should i look at here ?

i found Patriot Performance 195cc Aluminum LT1 Assembled Heads for 1k

Combustion Chamber: 58cc
Intake Runner: 195cc
Exhaust Runner: 70cc
Intake Valve: 2.02"
Exhaust Valve: 1.60"
Max. Valve Spring Lift: 0.650"
Spring Pressure Closed: 135 lbs. @ 1.800"
Spring Pressure Open: 375 lbs. @ 1.150"
Retainer Material: Titanium
Valve Seal Material: Viton
Valve Guide Material: Manganese Bronze
Valve Job: 5-angle

#10 · (Edited)
thanks

i'm getting
Suncoast Ram Air Hood + intake about 1k ...Save your money
rear end 4.11 Ratio 230$ i also found 4.30 4.56 4.88 and 5.13....4.10's & new posi unit & a full rebuild. 1k.
TA Performance's rear-end covers 150$
....Why? Plus , you only need one.
Meziere Heavy Duty Electric Water Pump, LT1, Black Annodized 220$ Your choice
Vigilante 9.5" 3-Disc Torque Converter 2800 or 3200 stall ? 1k ...Depends on your cam profile.
Impala SS Carbon Fiber Driveshaft 1k (later) ...way later
TransGO Reprogramming Kit 250$
....Get the tranny built as stated above in #2
B&M Supercooler Transmission Cooler 80$....Not really needed
Holley 58mm Throttle Body 400$
QTP Dual Universal Electric Cutouts 500$ i'm using these because cops don't like loud exhausts here, so i'm keeping the stock exhaust system and using the cutouts right after the headers What headers?

would you recommend i get the LT4 Conversion Kit ?.....No, Old school these days.
what cam numbers should i look at here ? Talk to the heads/cam guy's.

i found Patriot Performance 195cc Aluminum LT1 Assembled Heads for 1k

/QUOTE]

As stated above, A.I. or LE, for a head/cam combo.

#6 · (Edited)
ummm you def arent going the budget route lol...DO NOT GET A CARBON FIBER DRIVESHAFT!!!!!!!!

and hey i have 3" electric cutouts for sale lol...save urself 350 bucks

and you arent getting into 12's w/ lt4 kit...check out LE or AI kits...

#13 ·
u have the best uncle in the world :D

#16 ·
#17 ·
I wouldn't get too excited. Unless you have WX8 on the SPID sticker, you don't have a CapriceSS. Those dash badges were readily available for years and lots of people put them on their 9c1's and B4U's. There are guys here who probably still have some laying around.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.