Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got a spare lt1 block here and I've started to get the urge to build it up. My car is mainly sereet driven but it will see some passes. My suggestions as to rotating assembley?

I'm un decided as to a cam, Heads/Intake will be stock lt1 with a good port job and 1.6 rockers

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
What are your goals? Will forced induction or nitrous be used? If you just want a strong engine to run on the street without a power adder, I would suggest a cast 3.75" stroke crank, use the stock rods, and get some hypereutectic pistons. This could be done cheaply.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It may see a supercharger down the line.. I would love to get into the 12's... I dont mind fouling around with the top end, but I only want to build the shortblock once.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Originally posted by Mr9two9:
....I'm un decided as to a cam....
Several guys have met with very positive street/strip results using cams with intake duration in the 222 to 227 degree range and exhaust duration in the 230 to 234 degree range.

In recent months, one of the more popular mild stroker cams is the Comp Cams 503. The duration on this cam is 224/230 degrees; the lift is .536"/.544" with 1.6 rockers; it has a LSA of 112 degrees.

With a good set of heads, a good exhaust system, 3.73 gears and a 3000 stall TC, you should be able to pull easy 12's in the 1/4 mile.

Good Luck with your combo.

KW

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Unless you go with a FORGED crank, stick with the GM crank and build a heads/cam 355. The stock crank is better than any of the aftermarket CAST cranks.
Your plan to stick with ported LT1 heads and your goal of running 12's lead me to recommend staying with stockish displacement with a heads/cam treatment. Since you say you may throw some boost at it, go with forged slugs.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Tht might be an option also. I'm going to finish stripping the block next week. It's aleeady down to the shortblock

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The stock shortblock can make a whole lot more power with a good topend. If you can only build half the motor now do the top not the bottom.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
How about stock iron heads/lt1 intake ported out w a decent cam to start and some 1.6 roller rockers? I could put all this on my current motor while my other one gets freshend up.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The stock irons respond well to porting if coupled with a cam swap. The intake need not be high on the list of items to play with. Everyone is far too fast to want to play with it but it is better than most of what came before it. By no means perfect but also not the big source of power the gen1 stuff could be.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.