Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
5,771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is the most I've ever put into a system...most time, but not most money probably since now I have the internet and friends to help cut costs down.

I'm using my old Pioneer 4000DVD, not the best for sound, but plays DVDs, iPod and allows me to not spend on something new for a car I rarely drive.

Using Killer B speaker pods, with CDT comps (I don't really like these, but bought 2 sets years ago for like half off)

They will be powered by a Kicker zx350.4, which I think I will bridge at 175wrms, instead of about 70wrms.

I'm throwing around the idea of upgrading them to something better, but I want to see how it sounds first.

For subs I was going to use my ED 15"s, until this happened.

So I called up DC Sound Labs and ordered a couple of 15" level 3's. Should be here this week.

Meanwhile I built this.

It's roughly 2 cubes each speaker, maybe 4.2 total, which is perfect for a sealed box for these subs.

I found some old deadening material that I bought on a internet special years and years ago, but I forget the brand. I don't remember it sticking very well, so I used it all to do a double layer all over the rear deck.

Then I turned to the Raamat that came in today.

And build the frame to hold my amps under the false floor. I have to notch it out a bit for my sub amp, but it should (I hope) work nicely.

When it's all said a done, I believe my car will be about 1.5" lower, thus tucking the rim completely...so I may have to swap the sprints out for something else that is slightly taller.

Just to see how it would look, since I got 2yards for my Civic, but never used it. I wrapped the trim in Neffy Wrap. I didn't like it.

No, it wasn't wrapped correctly, just a small amount of spray glue on it. You can also see where my ash tray got out of alignment. The side ripped off, so when I put it back, it never lined up correctly. I tried for about 30 mins but couldn't get it. The whole dash is out of whack, and is absolutely a PITA to work with lol.

·
Registered
5,771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)

built box like this so I can move the sub up higher to clear the false floor. Thanks Jimmy for the idea. Barely cleared, but is perfect.

Only wrapped the panels and hinge covers. Shop didn't have our gray, so I am going with an all black trunk...amps are black, subs are black...so it'll look good, I hope.

Didn't leave enough room, so the top of my box is too wide...should be a somewhat easy fix though. Just doesn't clear the top (sides) of hinge covers by about 1/2".

·
Registered
5,771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've put raamat on pretty much the entire trunk...sides, so what you see is when it wasn't completely covered. I have 3 sheets left. Anywhere I should double up on? Sides? Floor?
Or should I put some on the brace behind the back seat?

Remember, my subs are rear firing, I have side panels, false floor, and the rear deck is cut out.

·
Registered
444 Posts
I've put raamat on pretty much the entire trunk...sides, so what you see is when it wasn't completely covered. I have 3 sheets left. Anywhere I should double up on? Sides? Floor?
Or should I put some on the brace behind the back seat?

Remember, my subs are rear firing, I have side panels, false floor, and the rear deck is cut out.

I would put it on the trunk lid and fill the braces of the lid expanding foam. With the sub firing back it is to vibrate like hell. And take off the licenes plate and put some on the back.

·
Registered
5,771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I don't have enough to properly do the trunk lid. I don't have my panel built yet to go up there, but when I do I will most likely buy more deadener and some type of foam for inside.

Omar, you've got what four 15s? You should have put 4 layers lol.

I think I will put it on the license plate, and the underside of the rear deck. Two layers are on the top already.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Looks good man.

Don't worry about the trunk lid yet. I'd put some on the license plate and on the sides, if you have left overs then the floor.

·
Registered
156 Posts
I know exactly what you mean by the dash being a PITA, I had probably 10 hrs into it, redoing it, till I got it just right. Try to get the trim piece on top to fit so the opening for the tv is perfectly square to say, with the top, bottom, and side vents of the dash, then adjust the bracket, because where you have to trim it at the bottom for the two screws under where the HVAC controls are (Right now, it seems there is a bigger gap on bottom left, and top right compared to top left and bottom right). I used a filler called PC-11 to smoothen everything out , because the trim piece on top is horrible, you can see the clue on top and it leaves a gap on the side. Once smoothen everything out, i painted it gloss black, I actually like what 94MI9C1 did, he used some kind of textured spray to give it a more factory look. hopefully this helps.

·
Registered
5,771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Just put my rear deck carpet on and done deadening. Just need to finish the holes for the subs (waiting for them to arrive to do that), make my false floor and wrap everything.

I found a perfect piece of plexi glass. Going to probably tint it and throw some leds under it and call it a day.

More pics this weekend.

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
looks great, look forward to seeing more pics

·
Registered
5,771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
FedEx just delivered these to my job. Since I run shipping/receiving, I no longer need to ship to my house.

·
Premium Member
1,996 Posts
Nice work ****** good to know you got some skills also....

·
Registered
5,771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I try. If my dad wasn't a cabinet builder, I would not have access to free tools. He also makes the cuts on the table saw, since he has 30 years experience and doesn't want me to take a circular blade to the knee like he did...or to the gut like he has seen. cwm8

·
Premium Member
548 Posts
I try. If my dad wasn't a cabinet builder, I would not have access to free tools. He also makes the cuts on the table saw, since he has 30 years experience and doesn't want me to take a circular blade to the knee like he did...or to the gut like he has seen. cwm8
How do you take a circular blade to the knee or gut on a table saw? What brand of speaker is that?

·
Registered
442 Posts
its a dc

·
Registered
5,771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Agree Miclo, hella work put in. What's gonna be your the first track you put in?
We have already established Tonyno's!
Daz - My System
Ice Cube - Why We Thugs

I just did the perimeter in cardboard for the floor. Should just cut it out and cut the holes for the subs.

Then start wrapping Saturday. I don't want to put the box with the subs in until I know I won't have to take them out, lol. Looks like my false floor will line up exactly under the subs...and I mean exact. We'll see, but I don't think even 1/4". Should look nice.

·
Registered
5,771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
How do you take a circular blade to the knee or gut on a table saw? What brand of speaker is that?
He may have not meant table saw, and I took it that way. Perhaps skill saw??? Either way, accidents happen...and I remember being a lil kid while my dad came home early one day. BIG red flag..the man works and works and works. His whole knee was wrapped...got him just above the cap. :(

·
Registered
5,771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
The subs seem waaay lighter than my EDs, like almost half. I could have swore my EDs were 42lb each, and these are only about 21lb.

When I take out the EDs, I will know for sure. Actually those are website specs, I just checked.

I always thought the heavier the better, but perhaps I am wrong...either way they should sound good. And if not...something will go in the new ride.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts