Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I noticed tonight that the "2", "5", "seek", and part of the volume knob no longer are lit up when the lights are turned on in my 1996 Caprice OEM radio/CD player.

The radio works just fine. I assume that there are tiny bulbs behind the buttons. Can these be replaced or do I just have to put up with a partially dark radio face?

If they can be replaced, I'm imagining that the majority of the radio and CD player has to be disassembled.

Any help is appreciated.

Bob

·
Registered
7,984 Posts
I noticed tonight that the "2", "5", "seek", and part of the volume knob no longer are lit up when the lights are turned on in my 1996 Caprice OEM radio/CD player.

The radio works just fine. I assume that there are tiny bulbs behind the buttons. Can these be replaced or do I just have to put up with a partially dark radio face?

If they can be replaced, I'm imagining that the majority of the radio and CD player has to be disassembled.

Any help is appreciated.

Bob
Yes, the bulbs can be replaced...this video should help.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jv5VgyxCIVQ

What I dont agree with is how he removed and installed the new bulbs. I would use a Solder Sucker or Wick to remove the old solder, then solder in the new bulbs. Doing it the way he did puts way too much heat on the Circuit board and you risk pulling out the Wire Traces doing it that way... IMHO.

EDIT - You could also go with LED bulbs. Careful if you do as these do have a polarity. If you use the SEARCH function here with "radio Bulbs" you will get a bunch of hits. this is just one that has more info on the LED bulbs.

http://www.impalassforum.com/vBulletin/showthread.php?t=317954&highlight=radio+bulbs

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
Good to know! Thanks.

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Radio Bulb Replacement

4DoorSS - Thanks for the links. I might have to find someone that is a lot better at soldering tiny things than I am to do this replacement. At least I know that it's possible.

The LED look is fine. If the radio would end up being cooler with the LEDs, then that is a nice option to have.

·
Registered
7,984 Posts
4DoorSS - Thanks for the links. I might have to find someone that is a lot better at soldering tiny things than I am to do this replacement. At least I know that it's possible.

The LED look is fine. If the radio would end up being cooler with the LEDs, then that is a nice option to have.
Sure, but it's not that difficult to solder if you practice a little. The key is to manage the heat applied by keeping the tip "tinned" in solder and applying Iron and Solder at the same time. Radio Shack probably has a mini Circuit board you could buy and practice on or maybe recommend a local shop that does this type of work. Other than that, don't rely on the Guy/Girl at RS to be too helpful. ;) Maybe check for some video links on youtube.

To me, I don't think the LED conversion does much for Heat and is more for the looks. I know they mentioned that in the threads as a benefit but those standard bulbs are so tiny, I doubt they generate enough heat to really be an issue. If it was, the Radio would have failed within the last 20 Years. Really does give the interior a different look though. I've long converted over to an Aftermarket Head Unit so never did anything with the Stock Radio, it was a Cassette anyway...Remember those? Hell I used to have an 8 track Player in my Camaro. :)

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
This looks like one of those repairs where I should probably replace all of the bulbs even if there are only 2 that are burned out since they are all 20 years old.

30 years ago, my wife was a QC inspector at a company that made printed circuit boards. I wonder if she would be willing to tackle this for me?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts