Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm looking at some Catco Cats on Summitracing.com and wondered if $167 was a good price for each? Also if there are any suggestions for better ones that would be appreciated.

·
Registered
2,224 Posts
I found some new magnaflow ones on e bay pretty cheap. They might not be legal in all areas.

·
Premium Member
20,353 Posts
So I'm looking at some Catco Cats on Summitracing.com and wondered if $167 was a good price for each? Also if there are any suggestions for better ones that would be appreciated.
$167 each is about as good as it gets for cats that are completely bolt-on. Go and price OEM cats from a dealership.......you'll be paying about $350 for each cat.

I believe Magnaflow used to have 'complete' bolt-on cats for our cars......but now, I think that they only sell cats that require welding to the existing pipes to install.

KW

·
Registered
826 Posts
$167 each is about as good as it gets for cats that are completely bolt-on. Go and price OEM cats from a dealership.......you'll be paying about $350 for each cat.

I believe Magnaflow used to have 'complete' bolt-on cats for our cars......but now, I think that they only sell cats that require welding to the existing pipes to install.

KW
Do a little searching online and you will find the Magnaflow Direct fit bolt on CATS for the 91-93 cars and for the 94-95 cars, but they do not list any direct fits cats for the 9 cars. I"m assuming due to not having 2 O2 sensor bungs.

I found them (Manaflow direct fits) for about $153.xx a piece.

Not bad at all considering I just saw an add on Craigslist here by me where a guy wants to give people $100-$200 each Cat for old used ones. Scrapyard might give more but I guess you'd have to know where to go.

Hope this helps.

Also, aren't the magnaflows supposed to be higher flow rate than the OEM and OEM replacements?

·
Premium Member
20,353 Posts

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
I always heard the stock cats flowed pretty well on these cars. The only way I'd imagine you could get more flow would be to go to a larger diameter from the stock 2.25". That makes sense anyway, if you already have a 2.5" cat-back. ;)

·
Registered
826 Posts
Nope......never heard that, before.

It's not even mentioned on their web site:

http://www.car-sound.com/

KW
Hm, good info. I had read the description on another site http://www.jcwhitney.com/direct-fit...ilterid=c10821d265y1995j1&_requestid=16764714 and it lead me to believe it might be of higher flow, but apparently not after looking at that link you had.

By the way, the link I just posted has them for 153 each as does thi site http://www.thepartsbin.com/catalog/?N=2268+1588+9921+4294963370+875

They also sell 50 state legal versions but they are more money.

·
Premium Member
20,353 Posts
I always heard the stock cats flowed pretty well on these cars.......
Actually, even performance cats add little over what you'd get with the stock cats.

The ONLY reason to go throught he expense of getting high performance cats is if they're offered/available with the mid-length or long-tube headers (read, Clear Image headers) for our cars......since the stock cats won't fit these headers, anyway.

KW

·
Registered
617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
so i went and got my Catco cats today and installing them tomorrow. I'm guessing they're the stock width of 2.25" Hopefully this will remedy my problem of it feeling like it cant breathe out all the air. The airflow through the tips is good but I hear the cats making dr. seuss noises and hope thats the only worry i have. SN: would it be good to change my O2 sensors since they look worn out and probably need replacing?

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
Yep. Consider them a maintenance item and swap them out. Make sure you get ACDelco ones, and if you have to cheap out, just swap out the front two if applicable (yes, I see you have a 94, but others reading may not.)

·
Premium Member
20,353 Posts
so i went and got my Catco cats today and installing them tomorrow.......
The Catcos will have O2 bungs in the converters for OBD-2 cars.

These bungs will have some sort of cap screwed into them; make sure you keep the screws in place ;) !

KW

1 - 12 of 12 Posts