Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This has only happened a second time since getting the 95 a few years ago.
Symptom. Running my errands. After making a stop, get in, turn key to on, then to start. Hear buzzing sound behind cluster and no crank. Turn key to off and repeat and fires right up in it's normal 1/2 a revolution or so. Has happen once before maybe year or two ago. Car was garage queen bought from original owner. Has around 65K. Only thing changed was original battery and shortly after it, the alternator back when I got the car. All original other then them. Actually, new plugs and ac comp this past summer.

Thought maybe some PASS KEY issue. But does not sound like it's normal operation from reading the sticky. No light, no kill for 3 minutes.

Anyone have similar experience? Theft relay maybe? Don't have FSM in front of me. Where is it located? Sound came from what seems like behind IP, but so quick and short, could have been underhood too I suppose.

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
PASS KEY Starter relay?

I do not know the 91 VATS. Your description sounds like the starter relay the VATS powers up to let the key power the starter.(94-96) It is suppose to be on the firewall high up out of reach.

There was a post in the last two weeks where the member had sparks from behind the dash when starting.

It is quite possible a 25 year old relay is not working right.

I keep hoping someone would post with pictures how to get to this relay.

If you cannot start the car you can probe the ignition switch on the column. (yellow wire?) The relay is the only part other than wire between the switch and the starter.(94-96)

·
Registered
89 Posts
My car did this a few months ago. I had a short in the cable running from the battery to the under hood fuse box. In my case the starter cable runs from the fuse box post also so it clicked rapidly when holding the key. IIRC, some earlier 95's still came with the zinc auxiliary post. I would recommend checking all of your battery cables and this post. If the post has any noticeable damage you should replace it. If its still a zinc post I would still recommend you to replace it with a brass one. GM switched to brass for a good reason.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts