Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Let's say I end up not selling this thing...

I think it's too low to the ground with the Vogtlands...

Checked out spring rates.
Moog replacements for stock 1979 Cadillacs list the 5612 at 388 lbs.
Heavy duty 1979 Cadillacs got the 5426 at 477 lbs.

Stock Impala is 440 lbs? And then a 1996 Fleetwood with the Moog 5030 says it's 478 lbs.

I'd like it to be about stock SS height in front, and fairly stiff, but not too stiff for daily driving. So 500 lbs or less would work. Maybe the Moog 5536 would work, or would the Moog 584 be better and then cut to get the right height?

A slightly raked stance would look good on this car I think, so I want something just a little taller than stock SS height in the back. I also want it to handle as well as possible, so from what I understand, having a good match for the spring rate in the back with the front is important. Any recommendations?

·
Registered
11,051 Posts
For best handling, put larger anti roll bars on it front and back. Keeping the car level will probably give you the best handling, and roll control. The shocks, and anti roll bars will do more for the handling than a lot of spring changes. The thicker anti roll bars will not affect the ride, but will make the car feel like it has stiffer springs in corners.

The stock SS springs are a 1 inch drop from stock Caprice springs. If you are going to lower the front more than the rear, you should have a higher spring rate in the front, because the car will transfer more weight to the outside front with the rear higher than the front (you do not see sports cars with a rake). Giving a car rake is a drag racing only scenario for weight transfer for rear wheel traction. The rake will cause the front outside corner to dive more.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Alright, no rake then, stock Impala SS height all around, but about 10% stiffer should do the trick I think.

I already have the 9C1 bars on it, and I'm happy with the cornering ability of those. I used to have Hotchkis bars on it, and they were too stiff for me.

·
Registered
11,051 Posts
I do not know what shocks you have, but changing them may make the ride a little stiffer. This usually equates to better handling. If you do not want a stiffer ride, keep the ones you have.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have bilsteins on it. Pretty sure they're the 1104 and 0929 ones. I like the ride on nice roads, but once you get a lot of bumps it sucks, and when parked, the frame touches the top of my trimmed ZQ8s. Can't really trim them anymore than I already have. I'd like to have an inch of space between the frame and the bumpstops if I can.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts