Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Who here is from California, maybe more specifically the SF Bay Area that is running a set of CIA Tri-Y headers? Looking to see what you guys are doing when it comes emissions time. I'm considering buying a set of his headers and CAT's but dont want to me messing around with swapping stuff every 2 years.

·
Registered
8,484 Posts
Unless the headers come with a CARB sticker, and the CIA's don't, you will need to find a shop that doesn't care....or has the $300 donation system

I have Edelbrocks which do and I have to go to a STAR station and have had the tech confirm the CARB # and the model # the CARB sticker applies to that is on the ID plate of header

If you have a 96 and aftermarket CATS (and the CIA bullet CATS are not CARB) that don't have a OBD2 AND CARB #...that can be another problem. That is why OBD2/CARB Cats are stupid $

Now if you had the ID plate with the model # of a CARB sticker and that sticker on the car....the tech is never going to know they are CIA ;-)

·
Registered
683 Posts
you can buy them and go to a "smog referee" and ask them to certifie that they are CA Legal and stamp them for you. (assuming they are CA legal)

I had the air pump sticker mod on my car. And one of the smog places would not touch my car because it did not issued by the referee.

I never removed the air pump giving that I did not want to re program the PC, I removed the sticker and now use the stock intake when I get the car smog

·
Registered
8,484 Posts
you can buy them and go to a "smog referee" and ask them to certifie that they are CA Legal and stamp them for you. (assuming they are CA legal)

I had the air pump sticker mod on my car. And one of the smog places would not touch my car because it did not issued by the referee.

I never removed the air pump giving that I did not want to re program the PC, I removed the sticker and now use the stock intake when I get the car smog
By CA "legal" any header needs to maintain the CAT within 3" of its original (stock) position. CIA Tri's "should" be good for that.....but will a "referee sign off on them is the ?. I have never heard of anyone reporting this though

CIA and about any other header Co. does not want to pay CARB the $ it takes to get a CARB "compliant" sticker as the market share for B body headers is quite small and not worth the expense. Edelbrock did back when they made their shorty and I believe SLP "offered" one (read don't know if it was listed in the CARB book though)

Many smog techs don't know WTF "exemptions" are unless they look through the CARB book listing them along with a corresponding manufacturer (GM) TSB which is where the sticker comes in. I had a smog tech close my hood because he said my EWP was a super charger....so yeah some are absolutely clueless.

IIRC the 95 OBD1 cars did not need the PCM re-programed to "disable" the air pump. Just pull relay.

It may be helpful, although I have never needed it, to have a copy of the TSB when going for smog check and having a disabled air pump AND the sticker which is noted in the TSB for those shops/techs who are....lets say a bit uninformed

TSB# 01-06-04-011

Ironically it is what comes out of the tail pipe that is "emissions"...but I digress as CA insists that all emission components be on the car & not removed. You could have long tube headers and a super charger and if pure oxygen came out of he tail pipes you would fail "visual" (insert face palm here)

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,587 Posts
Maybe California could add a tax so them thar inspector techs get some skoolin.:wink2:

Mark: Snowman-33

1 - 5 of 5 Posts