Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
has anyone had a problem with the rear caliper bolts falling out or breaking??? weve had it happen to my 96 SS 4 times now in about 18 months. and when the bolt falls out your not going anywhere because the caliper gets wedged between the rotor and the wheel. so if anyone has any suggestions it would be greatly appreciated. ThankSS :confused:

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Are your rear slide pins frozen ?? It's a small bolt but I can't imagine it breaking... must be something very wrong...maybe the disc is warped badly ?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Replace with NEW bolts and NEW slide pins, don't try and re-use the old ones. Be sure you lube the slide pins and torque the bolts tightly.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i just got off the phone with our mechanic and he said the slide pins are fine since we replaced those after my sister drove with the Ebrake on for about 50 miles and killed my rear brake system. this time it was the passenger side caliper bolt fell out. lock tite is a must on any of the bolts that hold important parts like the caliper on. SSeeya

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
WHICH bolt fell out? I can not see how a properly installed rear caliper to slide bolts can come out unless you don't tighten them enough..

Are you sure its not the bigger bolts holding the brackets on that hold the calipers in place? Ie the bracket you have to take off to get to the rotor.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
its the bolt that holds the actual caliper to the bracket. when the bolt falls out the caliper flips backwards under hard braking and gets lodged between the rotor and wheel. it acts like a frozen rear gear set the tirees will not move. SSeeya
nick

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The fsm states in uncertain terms that these bolts may only be used once; and then discarded if they are ever removed. The new ones have some sort of locktight preapplied. I have taken my brakes apart many times, and keep an inventory of the two different bolts for the rears on hand.

Peter

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
PS: The slide pins have absolutely nothing to do with the ebrake system. Really the only trus way to check 'em is to remove them.

Peter

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.