Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since coming upon this site, I've gained an interest in the big bodies. Strongly considering the RM in chi-town. Back to the subject. I've come across a '95 Deville (130K) for a decent price. I see here that there are a lot of Fleetwoods around. Other than body style, what are the diffences between the Fleetwood and the Deville? Do they have the same options (i.e. LT1)? Why are there not more in your forum? Is there an aftermarket for this type? What should I look out for? I'll be taking a close look at it tomorrow. Any information will be greatly appreciated. Also, the interior needs some attention. For those of you that know, what is the going rate to re-upholster an interior (carpet included). Thanks.

L

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Bro if you want dependability ...DO NOT BUT THAT DEVILLE! Seriously thats the difference, the LT1 with 130K miles is considered low mileage but thats very high mileage for a Northstar. The early Northstar engines are crap. Just wait and do some more research and get a Fleetwood. You cant even compare the two cars, the Deville is inferior to the LT1 Fleetwood.

E

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Devilles and Fleetwoods are two doifferent cars. Fleetwoods are rear wheel drive. Devilles are front wheel drive. Yeah, the northstars are not very dependable... I would stay away from it. Check out www.cadillacforums.com you will find more info there. And maybe a less Bias opinion...

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
^^Yes, CadillacForums.com is a much better source for more Cadillac info, but simply put--the Deville and Fleetwood are 2 TOTALLY different cars.

The Deville is a FWD, unibody vehicle and the Fleetwood is more "antique" RWD, body on frame. Overall, some do have similar body lines, but the Fleetwood is larger and heavier, and just a much simpler car--but because of that, more acceptable to mods galore, cheaper to fix, and more reliable.

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hey Member #15473,

The only purpose for the last Devilles was to delude and flummox as many of the country's dead-driving blu-hairs in '97 into thinking they had scored a real (yet regretably discontinued) Cady Fleetwood from GM using their exact same tailight part numbers and mimicing the same lame rear wheelwell skirt lines.

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Originally posted by 96 Black:
Hey Member #15473,

The only purpose for the last Devilles was to delude and flummox as many of the country's dead-driving blu-hairs in '97 into thinking they had scored a real (yet regretably discontinued) Cady Fleetwood from GM using their exact same tailight part numbers and mimicing the same lame rear wheelwell skirt lines.

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks all for the input. I guess the Deville is out.

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
welcome Charm!
i just got rid of my 1995 deville and now have a 1995 fleetwood brougham.
the deville interior was MUCH bigger, the fleetwood seems more cramped and has a longer dash. BUT, overall the fleetwood is about 2 feet longer.. go figure!
as for the northstar, i do agree that i've heard Nothing but bad(headgaskets mostly). BUT my deville was not a concours so it came with the 4.9L pushrod(looked nearly identical my 1990 Eldorado Biarritz's 4.5L)
to make a long story short, the Northstar is plain out faster (rated at 300hp) but lacks in the low-end torque compared to the 4.9(rated at 200hp)
my 2 cents? i put BOTH of those (4.9 &4.5) caddies through absolute hell and back, Always drove them Extremely hard.. kept up on oil and NEVER had a single problem.(i've always ran Rotella in All my caddies)
sure they're front wheel drive, but if you're not looking at crazy performance and the price is good... could be worth seeing if it's a 4.9

and yes, you'll find yourself more at home at www.cadillacforums.com

oh and if you wondered why i "got rid" of the deville,
originally my buddy accidentally drilled into the main interior harness during an installation, took me 6 months to find a new harness, 11 hours for us to change the entire thing and .002 seconds for her to fire back up and purr.
then not a year later she met some black ice... and a tree, fence and pole. :( but i can say with a busted manifold, no coolant & one hell of a whack on the front end, she started up and ran smooth without the slightest problem. but with frame damage and a nice fat check from insurance... i finally got my dream car

sorry, got sidetracked

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ya know, people rave about the northstar, but I'm no that impressed. I couldn't spin the tires in my grandpa's 96... but my moms 92 with the 4.9 had no issues.

Pass on the northstar... even the new ones are not that great.

F

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Originally posted by Charm City:
Other than body style, what are the diffences between the Fleetwood and the Deville?
Looking like a queer and getting made fun of by the cool guys with Fleetwoods!

E

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
^^^
^^^

I thought I was the only one that did that. I love when the guys at work come to me and tell me that they got a trade in like my car. I get all excited cause I gonna rape the thing, then I see it and its a deville... :mad:

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
My kids are 8 and 10 and they even know the difference between a DeVille and a Fleetwood.

They will point out the DeVilles like Grandpa has from the Fleetwoods like dads.

But regarding the Northstar. I have a 2001 DTS and she pulls strong, NO complaints with the power. Performance stats show 0-60 being 6.10 sec and quarter at 14.7 @ 96 mph.

I do agree it does have costlier repairs bills than the Fleetwood.

[ 01-03-2007, 10:16 PM: Message edited by: 96ermic ]

W

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
A Cadillac is a Cadillac!! Right?? Might as well get a Cadillac Cimmaron... Well wait a minute I just had a evil thought get a Cimmaron and the XLR rolling chassis I seen on ebay for $12,000 and then Wow what a sleeper. Sorry lost my train of thought for a minute. I think it's funny when people confuse the Fleetwood with a Deville. At the car shows sometime when people say "wow was that hard to swap the northstar out for the LT1" I say no but it was hard to make it RWD. Love to see the dumbfounded look on their face.

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Bob's top two insults to heap on a Deville;

1. Just stand in front of one and say, "Well I mean, just look at it."

2. Tell the owner, "The only useful things on that car are the bulbs in the ashtrays and the taillight lenses that fit on my Fleetwood."

Y

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I just sold my 1999 Deville Concours daily driver (made a good profit too). It was a nice car and more comfortable than the Fleetwood as a day to day car, but still does not have the rugged solid feel of the Fleetwood. I do miss the little things like steering wheel radio controls, better gas mileage, and better ergonomics. Would I sell the Fleetwood for one.. hell no, why do you think I drove the Deville to preserve my pride and joy.

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I originally purchased Fleetwood as daily driver but due to rarity and exclusivity I want to keep it more as a summer/weekend car.

Thats why I bought the DTS. Yes, the ergonomics are much better in the DTS and it has the rear heat controls and steering wheel controls and so on and so on. But when I look at the Fleetwood just sitting there in the driveway I see why I have always liked these cars.

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Um, shouldn't we segregate discussion between the late '90s Deville and the 2000-on DTS. Two 'nother whole different cars, and one is sooooo much easier and worthwhile insulting than the other.

After all, the current DTS makes a great rental, and if not for that wrong-wheel Cady experiment, then we might not have the STS now, and an all-new FTS in, say . . . , EIGHT MORE YEARS!

U

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I'll add my two cents since I have owned a 95 Deville, 95 Deville Concours, and my current '95 Fleetwood. I bought the 95 Deville with 80K miles and sold it with 130K miles. I drove it to work every day for almost two years. It had no power, but it got around 25 mpg. The 95 Concours was bought with 52K miles and owned only a few months due to 2+ feet of water in my garage during a flood. It drove nice and had decent top end power. I was pleasantly surprised the first time I pulled out to pass a car, but it had no bottom end power. My Fleetwood is nothing like either Deville. Rear wheel drive and adequate torque making it fun to drive. I fell in love during the test drive. After slowing to about 20 mph for a turning car, I punched the accelerator the same way I would have in my Deville. I was greeted by a firm downshift and a chirp of the tire, followed by a short trip back to highway speed. After a quick test of the traction control disable switch, I was back to the dealership to seal the deal. Best of all, they knocked $3500 off their asking price for two tons of fun with 67K miles.

F

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Originally posted by wheelz:
...when people say "wow was that hard to swap the northstar out for the LT1"...
Bwahahahahahaha! I get that too!

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Quite simply, the Fleetwood is the end of an era.

DeVilles are instantly set apart by the plastic bumpers.

The Fleetwood is the last car, American or otherwise to posess all of the following features:
</font>
  • Steel Chrome front and Rear bumpers</font>
  • Fender Skirts</font>
  • Rear Wheel Drive</font>
  • V-8 Engine</font>
  • Fins (even though subtle)</font>
I think the odds of these features returning is somewhat slim as well.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts