Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With 3.42 gears, stock diameter tires, and 2400 stall and a desire for a reasonable 750-800 rpm idle what is the difference in these two cams? Are they both too mild? 224/228 on a 112 with lift around 0.540 and a 230/230 same all else. The car needs some power below 3000 as it lives here most of the time. I plan to shift no higher than 6000 maybe a little less once the new stroke is added. Thanks for any advice.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Tom,

A lot will depend on the heads you're putting on top of that beaSSt. I'm gonna assume that you'll be putting on something AT LEAST comparable to the AFR 190 heads :rolleyes: ...

The lower duration cam should give you a bit more low end torque; the other cam a bit more top end HP. That much said, I'll tell you that with the 3.42 gears and the 2400 stall TC, you can get away with something along the lines of a CC306 cam...even if it's a daily driver ;) . Been there, done that! He11..look at my sig and even THAT cam is good for everyday use...but then, I do have 3.72 gears

With any of these three cams (the 306 cam included), a 750rpm idle will give you some pretty significant lope....if it's even doable at all. I idled at 900rpm with the CC306. Horsepower and torque for all three cams under 3000rpms will be very good with the stroker.

Of the two cams you are looking at, I'd take the 230/230 (but that's just me). Is that a Comp Cams custom grind with the #3315 lobes?

Anyway....I believe the CC306 will yield more power along the RPM range and will leave you MUCH happier.

BTW, the CC306 specs out at 230/244 duration; .544"/.576" lift; 112 LSA.

Good luck on your choice.

KW

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Tom,

I won't have access to my beaSSt until mid-December. If you can wait that long before ordering a cam, we can hook up for a ride and you can see how a low duration/high lift cam performs.

LMK.

KW

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Forgot - the heads are AFR 195, Tri-Ys and 2.25 Flowmaster Force 3, Will an ATR 2.5 system make much difference now that the 350 is a 395? Thanks for the Cam advice!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
KW,

I am considering building my own 396 over several months.....whats your advice on this and what do you recommend for a recipe in a daily driver?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Originally posted by miket:
KW,
....what do you recommend for a recipe in a daily driver?
See my sig, substitute AFR 195 heads with 56cc chambers;
CC306 cam;
2600 stall;
F-body MAF;
52mm TB;
Tune with a 900rpm idle (Bryan Herter).

This will make for a very comfortable daily driven 396.

Or you can go with my specs for a bit more rudeness :D .

KW

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
KW,

Why would your cam be more "rude" than the cc306? The 306 has significantly more duration and probably more overlap unless your LSA is 108 or so. Your cam has more lift but that should not affect the drivabilty, only the valve spring life.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Tom,

Comp Cams custom grinds work pretty well. Xtreme Energy 230/236 cam with lift matched to your heads flow numbers and 112 LSA should perform nicely. It will be more driveable than cc306 (less duration split and steeper lobes) and make as much or more power.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Originally posted by 9C1LT195:
KW,
Why would your cam be more "rude" than the cc306...
Rude may be the wrong term
. Still, my current cam feels more streetable than the 306 cam but it makes more power with total lift that is not really acceptable to most....

Also....3000 stall cam and steeper gears and AFR 210 heads makes for more robust performance potential than the set-up I recommended....which has more emphasis on ideal street manners.

It's not JUST a cam thing ;) ...

KW

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.