Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just found out that my car has and gm 845 cam what other mods would work best with this can my mods are in my siggy
and i searched and didn't find anything about my question thats why im asking

·
Registered
2,667 Posts
Is your sig corret???? Built 4l65e???

Does it have a nice stall converter?

Mav

·
Registered
6,751 Posts
Get rid of the rims and your car will feel like a rocket. Otherwise, I'd suggest just turning the idle down to about 600 rpm so you'll have a little bit of a cammy idle and not worry too much about performance.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Is your sig corret???? Built 4l65e???

Does it have a nice stall converter?

Mav
sorry i ment 4l60e and i have a 2500 stall

·
Registered
654 Posts
I just found out that my car has and gm 845 cam what other mods would work best with this can my mods are in my siggy
and i searched and didn't find anything about my question thats why im asking
well the first problem is the edelbrock headers. those are pretty much useless because they provide a almost negligible increase in power over stock (maybe 5 extra hp if that). next, if you want to keep running the 24s, you need to have a MINIMUM of a 4.10 gear ratio in the rear end. other than that, you car will be pretty much what its gonna be because that cam is basically designed to work with stock heads and stock gears and stock tq converter...more like a cam that GM shouldve used in our cars to begin with. it makes great low and mid range for driving around town and things like that but for racing, you will always get beat by a car that makes its power in the mid and high end. you basically have maxed that cam out except for the headers. you might get a little bit more with ported heads but dont expect a huge gain. oh yeah i forgot to mention, i didnt see a cat back exhaust in your sig. you need to get a 2.5 catback to make it work too. you have pretty much neglected your exhaust system completely. fix the two exhaust issues (headers and cat back) and either change to smaller wheels or get higher gears and you will notice a difference.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks once again i have 2.5 exhaust with x pipe and also no cats i cant remember what kind of mufflers and i was thinking of going to 4.10 wasnt sure tho. The headers where on the car when i got it, I dont like the performance my car puts out now i want to get 360-400hp to the ground, so im probably gonna change my cam if its not gonna get me there or im going to go ls1 or above

well the first problem is the edelbrock headers. those are pretty much useless because they provide a almost negligible increase in power over stock (maybe 5 extra hp if that). next, if you want to keep running the 24s, you need to have a MINIMUM of a 4.10 gear ratio in the rear end. other than that, you car will be pretty much what its gonna be because that cam is basically designed to work with stock heads and stock gears and stock tq converter...more like a cam that GM shouldve used in our cars to begin with. it makes great low and mid range for driving around town and things like that but for racing, you will always get beat by a car that makes its power in the mid and high end. you basically have maxed that cam out except for the headers. you might get a little bit more with ported heads but dont expect a huge gain. oh yeah i forgot to mention, i didnt see a cat back exhaust in your sig. you need to get a 2.5 catback to make it work too. you have pretty much neglected your exhaust system completely. fix the two exhaust issues (headers and cat back) and either change to smaller wheels or get higher gears and you will notice a difference.

·
Registered
654 Posts
thanks once again i have 2.5 exhaust with x pipe and also no cats i cant remember what kind of mufflers and i was thinking of going to 4.10 wasnt sure tho. The headers where on the car when i got it, I dont like the performance my car puts out now i want to get 360-400hp to the ground, so im probably gonna change my cam if its not gonna get me there or im going to go ls1 or above
thats not hard to get on a lt1 engine...no need to do a ls swap. however, its gonna require a little bit more than just a cam swap. you are gonna have to get ported heads and intake manifold and throttle body to go along with the cam swap. i believe that the level three head porting by either ai or le is capable of making that much power at the wheels but dont quote me on that. im for sure that the ported lt4 heads can make that much power easily but its gonna cost a little more than the ported lt1 heads and the power wont really be all that streetable. i think a better idea for you would be to determine what you would like for your car to be and then go from there. its much easier to build it for what you want it to be whether it be a super street car, a street/strip car, or a strip only car. once you get that figured out then you can plan around your heads/cam combo. the reason i say this is because you can make all the power in the world and still have a pretty slow car because you didnt have a set goal in mind and just threw parts at it or you can have a manageable amount of power that is a beast on the street, the strip, or both. a good thing about it is that you definitely have the supporting mods already with the tranny, the gears, the rockers, the rear end, and the cold air so thats a definite plus. figure out what you want your car to be and then go from there.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Right now im aiming at a street/strip car and i was talking to and guy on here who dosent stay who has some LE ported heads with paper work and flow charts he wants to sell me so im probably gonna go with those heads. And i have and Edelbrock Ram Air Intake and a 52mm throttle body i had and after market MAF sensor but i put a factory one back on after i saw all the threads about using and aftermarket MAF sensor. but yea i want and street/strip car. I mean with my current mods i have beat chargers, crown vics, mustangs, and 72 chevelle and cutlass with built motors, and i stayed with and challenger but he got away at the end
thats not hard to get on a lt1 engine...no need to do a ls swap. however, its gonna require a little bit more than just a cam swap. you are gonna have to get ported heads and intake manifold and throttle body to go along with the cam swap. i believe that the level three head porting by either ai or le is capable of making that much power at the wheels but dont quote me on that. im for sure that the ported lt4 heads can make that much power easily but its gonna cost a little more than the ported lt1 heads and the power wont really be all that streetable. i think a better idea for you would be to determine what you would like for your car to be and then go from there. its much easier to build it for what you want it to be whether it be a super street car, a street/strip car, or a strip only car. once you get that figured out then you can plan around your heads/cam combo. the reason i say this is because you can make all the power in the world and still have a pretty slow car because you didnt have a set goal in mind and just threw parts at it or you can have a manageable amount of power that is a beast on the street, the strip, or both. a good thing about it is that you definitely have the supporting mods already with the tranny, the gears, the rockers, the rear end, and the cold air so thats a definite plus. figure out what you want your car to be and then go from there.

·
Premium Member
3,774 Posts
Get rid of the rims and your car will feel like a rocket. Otherwise, I'd suggest just turning the idle down to about 600 rpm so you'll have a little bit of a cammy idle and not worry too much about performance.
Bingo. Ditch the wheels was my immediate first suggestion too as I read the OP.
The 845 is a very good cam. That would be the last thing I'd change on your car.
LE ported heads ........yes
Edelbrock Ram Air Intake ....no
52mm TB ........yes

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Bingo. Ditch the wheels was my immediate first suggestion too as I read the OP.
The 845 is a very good cam. That would be the last thing I'd change on your car.
LE ported heads ........yes
Edelbrock Ram Air Intake ....no
52mm TB ........yes
i have seen a couple of people who said no to the ram air intake but never no reason can u possible explain why
and also whats the problem with the wheels im asking because im trying to learn this stuff cause i truly dont know
thanks in advance
i also forgot to mention that i have BMR CONTROL ARMS on my rear end. Most of these mods where done before i bought the car

·
Premium Member
3,774 Posts
i have seen a couple of people who said no to the ram air intake but never no reason can u possible explain why
and also whats the problem with the wheels im asking because im trying to learn this stuff cause i truly dont know....
The Edelbrock intake offers zero advantage to the stock LT1 intake manifold. Stock intake is good for way over 400 rwhp.
Stock wheels alone are too heavy for those of us trying to go fast. Your 24's have a massive moment of inertia compared to the stock ones.

·
Registered
6,751 Posts
The Edelbrock intake offers zero advantage to the stock LT1 intake manifold. Stock intake is good for way over 400 rwhp.
Stock wheels alone are too heavy for those of us trying to go fast. Your 24's have a massive moment of inertia compared to the stock ones.
What Pat said. You can look up rotational inertia formulas if you want to calculate the exact penalty, but the short of it is those rims have a LOT of weight a LONG way from the axle, which makes it really hard to accelerate them. It's the equivalent of trying to sprint wearing ankle weights.

That's why I said, if you want to go fast, start by ditching the rims. Otherwise, just work on looking good and be done with it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts