Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,808 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone help me determine what this cam is? It came out of a 96 Z28 I am parting out. I thought the guy told me it was a "T.E.A. custom cam" but found on LS1tech where he posted about his "build" that it was a Comp Cams XE 230/236, on 112 LSA. I got it out and can't tell. I have reached out to the guy bought it from but he is not responding.

Thanks.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,774 Posts
Yes, it's a CC XE 230/236/112, .510/.521 with 1.5 rockers

·
Premium Member
1,808 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Pat. What on there told you that? Maybe you have the Little Orphan Annie secret decoder ring? I can decode Reed cams, but that's about it.

·
Premium Member
1,808 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
And Pat, I assume running this cam with stock springs/retainers/locks and push rods, with 1.6 full roller rockers would not be advised either.

·
Premium Member
3,774 Posts
I have an old Comp catalog here that lists the lobe numbers with specs.
And I've ordered custom cams from them before, so I know how they mark them. They didn't mark the advance (ground in) on that one, but it's probably 4 degrees.

You can't run that with stock springs, no matter what rockers :(

·
Premium Member
1,808 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks a lot. Having lobe books is nice. I was hooked up with Reed cams when they were still in business and have bought many, many custom cams from them when we were building round track motors. And still have their lobe catalogs. I have ONE Reed custom flat tappet cam of mine left that I lucked up and found on eBay and got it back, long story, but I KNOW it is mine. I really wish Reed would open back up, or at least Dennis get back to grinding the Reed lobe profiles. That was a lot of R&D we did out the window.

I did hear back from the guy this morning finally and he said he changed springs, but they sure look a lot like stock single coil springs. I guess I will just check their free length and rate to determine.

Thanks again!!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.