Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok guys, looking for a Cam / valve train recommendation.

I'm doing this work on my project 9C1...main goals are to keep it affordable, learn how to rebuild the top end from the heads up (never done it but I've been reading alot and have decent mechanical ability), and to gain some power over stock.

I've got a set of aluminum 97 F-Body heads, 561 casting which, according to LE, are the best flowing stock aluminum heads. Other than that I've got a set of tri-ys set aside, will keep stock gears, stock RPMs, and will have the PCM programmed after the rebuild.

I know a stock aluminum head is not an upgrade from iron...but if I tailor the valve train to aluminum will I at least not lose anything? They will up the compression right? Not looking to spend alot on head porting or performance heads and I already have the 561s laying around.

Was looking at the LT4 Hot Cam kit on Summit...with the roller rockers and all... as well as some comp cam kits.

Again...not looking to make crazy power...but it'd be nice if it was over stock.

So looking for recommendations for cam, springs, lifters, and rockers?

Thanks in advance for any help!

·
Premium Member
8,386 Posts
I can only offer what has been offered to me with my build.

I don't think that the compression is up from the iron heads to aluminum if comparing an Fbody to a B body as there is different head gasket thicknesses between the two where as the B body units are thinner, which would up compression. Someone can confirm this though.

As far as cam and what you are trying to do with it I think that this Lloyd cam would be a good match
218/224 .544/.544 111 LSA. - 1500-6000 RPM
Great low and mid range power with very mild idle and will easily pass emissions. Works with stock gear and factory converter. Comparable to popular Crane 227 cam and GM 845 cam.
I am sure that AI sells similar or any other manufacturer. But it would be good to call Lloyd or AI and tell them what you want to do/doing with the car and they can recommend something that will suit your application, it is the way to go in my eyes, yes they are little more expensive, but in the long run I think that you would be a happier with something like this over a hotcam.

That is all that I can offer. I have a set of beehive valve springs in the garage with 800 miles on them 26918 units, I will sell them pretty cheap if you are interested and it meets what you are needing or wanting for springs.

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the info!

Do you have retainers for the beehives that you could possibly part with as well?

Ah yes I forgot to mention that I'm using the stock converter. I don't have to worry about emissions/inspections though.

I'll give LE a call too.

·
Premium Member
8,386 Posts
Yep retainers and locks would go with them. Just on a note I was told they had 800 miles on them, they came on the heads I bought, and judging by the way the heads look that would seem to be a true statement. Just wanted to put that out there. But definitely call or email lloyd he is very knowledgable and can get you down the right road, as well as AI.

·
Registered
7,011 Posts
For a street/strip car that isn't going to change from stock static compression, I'd suggest looking for a cam that maintains a high dynamic compression. That's one reason the Crane 227 works so well. Ask LE what the dynamic compression is on that 218 cam. The closer to 9.0 you can get, the better.

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Just talked to LE, he recommended:

218/224 with .570 lift (if using beehives) with 1.6 rockers and my aluminum F-Body heads. He said stock 561s are just about an even trade for irons as increased compression makes up for the slightly lower flow.

94MI9C1, PM sent regarding the springs!

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

·
Registered
7,024 Posts
Well then there you go! Good Luck with the build.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.