Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
looks like i will be heading into my head/cam swap a little earlier then expected (weep hole leak in the water pump, opti in on the way out from the leaking pump)
anyway i wondered if its a good idea to go ahead with the cam and head swap without doing a converter change? had anyone done it and ran the stock converter from the imp? and if i do change it will i still have to get the PCM programmed? Thx guys

·
Registered
654 Posts
looks like i will be heading into my head/cam swap a little earlier then expected (weep hole leak in the water pump, opti in on the way out from the leaking pump)
anyway i wondered if its a good idea to go ahead with the cam and head swap without doing a converter change? had anyone done it and ran the stock converter from the imp? and if i do change it will i still have to get the PCM programmed? Thx guys
depends on the cam. if you do it and dont have the converter to match the cam you will get what feels like a "lag", similar to turbo lag. at least thats what happened to me with my old cam. i had a cc 305 cam in there that is suited to a 3000 plus stall converter and i had a 2400 stall converter in it and when i hit the gas, the car would take off and then all of a sudden...WHAM!!! like the power just rushed on all of a sudden in the mid range then it pulled like hell all the way to the top of the rpm range. so will it hurt? probably not, just wont "feel" right and definitely wont be at its best performance without a tq converter matched to the cam. now there are cams that work with factory converter, if u got one of those, you are fine.

·
Registered
7,024 Posts
Yeah I did a head/cam upgrade without a converter change. My tuner guy said gat a six-speed for it and I will probably go that route in the future. I definitely need a different converter but he was able to tune it with the factory one. Its not great at slow speeds and reverse but it does the job for now.

I would recommended a different converter before a cam install. What cam are you going with?

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah I did a head/cam upgrade without a converter change. My tuner guy said gat a six-speed for it and I will probably go that route in the future. I definitely need a different converter but he was able to tune it with the factory one. Its not great at slow speeds and reverse but it does the job for now.

I would recommended a different converter before a cam install. What cam are you going with?
crane 227

·
Registered
654 Posts
crane 227
from what i see and hear and read on here, that cam is probably the one that should've come in our cars from the factory. based on what i saw in the past with that cam, you will defintely be fine running the stock converter. hell you will be fine running everything stock with that cam from what i read and hear.

·
Registered
84 Posts
im in the same boat and all the research and ppl i've talked to say the specs on the cam tell u the power range in rpms,which should tell u what stall to upgrade to,the factory converter is 1600,i upgraded to a 2800 that im havin built from a local shop,and the guy claims this will make more of a noticable difference that the cam and heads,but we'll see about that when my engine comes back and i put it in.I dont think i'll go any higher than 3000 for now.As for the pcm,i dont think it needs attention,at least im not in my engine/converter upgrade

·
Registered
654 Posts
im in the same boat and all the research and ppl i've talked to say the specs on the cam tell u the power range in rpms,which should tell u what stall to upgrade to,the factory converter is 1600,i upgraded to a 2800 that im havin built from a local shop,and the guy claims this will make more of a noticable difference that the cam and heads,but we'll see about that when my engine comes back and i put it in.I dont think i'll go any higher than 3000 for now.As for the pcm,i dont think it needs attention,at least im not in my engine/converter upgrade
The one thing i would recommend with that high a stall is some gears to go with it, at least some 3.42s. You are gonna have a lot of slippage off the line with that converter an the gears will eliminate that and will require a tune. Also, you will need a deeper pan too or another tranny cooler to keep the temps in line and not ruin your xmsn.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Deeper tranny pan? i hoped with the external cooler by its self that would be sufficient,but it has been on my mind,and the last thing i want is drop in rebuilt 355 and trans takes a crap,so if i add another cooler(cheap to do) that will help out?Or do both pan and cooler?sorry to jack thread

1 - 8 of 8 Posts