Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I HAVE A 96 LT1 WITH IRON HEADS WHAT DO I NEED TO DO TO RUN THE LT4 CAM UPGRADE KIT I.E. VALVE SPRINGS, COVERS, KNOCK SENCER

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
WHAT MAKES YOU WANT TO RUN AN LT4 HEADS/CAM UPGRADE OVER SOME OTHERS THAT CAN RUN BETTER IN A 4200 POUND CAR? IS LT4 THE ONLY THING YOU HEAR ABOUT IN MAGAZINES? SEARCH OR ASK AROUND ABOUT THESE NUMBERS: 227, 304, 845, ZZ4, ZZ3, LE1, LE2, LE3, ETC...

p.s. -

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
There are many more choices, so don't be stuck on the LT4 hotcam. But if you do go this route, you can get the cam, roller rockers, valve springs, retainers, shims, and locks all in one kit. It costs about $700 at Thunder Racing.

And of course, you will need gears, tuning, and a stall converter also.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The reason I was thinking of going with the lt4 cam kit was it was only $525 from summit racing. I was woundering if I would need to do any machine work to the head to use those springs. It comes with cam, springs, retainers,and roller rockers. I am open to other options

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The heads would need machining for those springs and after that they are still marginal at best for that cam so your money would be much better spent on different springs than machining the heads.

We are fully aware of what is in that kit because every newbie wants to run it till they do some reading and some learning.

Where in WI are you, if near GB/Appleton you are welcome to a ride in my car and getting a feel for a number of combos first hand is going to be the best research you can do. I am in New London a little west of Appleton.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Originally posted by 96capriceMGR:
.....Where in WI are you, if near GB/Appleton you are welcome to a ride in my car and getting a feel for a number of combos first hand is going to be the best research you can do.....
Jon,

Take Dwayne up on his offer!!!!!!!!

Also.....is this engine in a Blazer (noting your sign-on) or is it in a B-Body? It doesn't make a whole lot of difference in the long run......I was just wondering ;) .

KW

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yes it is in a s10 blazer 4x4 and I'm a little to far away for a ride I'm in oconomowoc. Sounds like a sweet ride though!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
There is a thread somewhere on here about a WI gathering we want to make happen and it would likely be down your way. MuSScle in Milwaukee on here is in Muskego and I get to his place a handful of times each year and GLD occassionally. So if this is not urgent you might be able to check the car out, think is the current setup will be replaced SOON. If the Gathering happens though there is a guy out by Madison who has a 845 cam which is about halfway between my current cam and a HOT cam, another great choice for a mild cam in a heavy ride.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.