Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just installed drop spindles and went to get an alingment. I was told that "since the car was lowered they could not get the alingment 100%". The camber should be no more than -1, mine is -1.3 (left) and -1.8 (right). Now my car pulls to the right, I guess form the extra negative camber on the right vrs. the left. Also my left tire rubs. Should I get the alingment shop to set both front wheels at -1.8 (too keep the left tire from rubbing and stop the car from pulling to the right) or should they be able to get the front 100% to spec?

Thanks for any info

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Talking about camber, Kevin, not caster. ;)
Yes Klez, when our cars are lowered, you need to remove shims to get the camber back to spec. If it's lowered enough, even removing all the shims will still not get it back to spec, so there's nothing they can do. Wayne's suggestion is the only solution I know of.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Originally posted by Kevin Moore:
Holy crap, -1.3? -1.8? Does your steering wheel even re-center itself when you finish a turn?

Now that I think about it though, it does make sense that a drop spindle would affect caster. Since the upper control arm is the pivot point (and the point at which caster and camber adjustments are made), your drop spindle put the center of the wheel closer to the lower control arm, where the affects of moving the upper control arm are reduced...just thinking outloud though.
Everything works fine, except a slight pull to the right.

We are talking about camber not caster.

No, factory the center of the wheel is at the lower control arm. Now the center of the wheel is in the center between the upper and lower control arm.

Thank's Wayne I remembered reading something about offset shafts. If I could find a picture of one I would understand it more.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
FUN 9C1, The guy told me there were still shims in there and pulling them out would not fix it. So I guess I'll look into the offset shafts. All this just to stop tire ware (at least it rides a lot better than the lowering springs).

BTW: My manifold caps work great! :D

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
This is for a '60s Chevelle, but it'll give you the idea...

Two offset shafts, one more offset than the other.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Something is going on.
A car pulls to the HIGHER camber and the LOWER caster.
If your caster was equal your car should pull to the left because of the 1.3 neg is higher ( more pos) than 1.8 neg.
If you think the tires hit now, what do you think is going to happen when you jack the tops out with offset upper shafts?
What are all your alignment numbers?
Want a real eye opener? Sit in the car and see how much the numbers change!
I'm not even going to start into what I think of dropped spindles.
Gerry

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
OK, so what is going on? Everything on my front end is new with the exception of the pitman arm and the LCA bushings (which I would like to change). I know the tires would rub more with the offset shafts. I think if I went down one tire size (width wise) it would stop the tire rub. I really like the new ride of the drop spindles and don't think that I could go back to springs.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.